The Opening Keynote of the WWDC 2017 was at least dense, among the many innovations was iOS 11. We talk here about most important ones.
Apple wanted to focus on ARKit, a development platform for augmented reality applications. It’s only at the project stage for the moment, but we know that IKEA is working on an application exploiting the technology. It is fairly easy to imagine that this will be linked to virtual furnishings. This is the example Apple took during its conference. By putting a lamp and a cup on a table. Pokémon GO will also enjoy it.
Siri tells you the future.
- The interface of Siri has been reviewed, closer to the “Google Card” of Moutain View.
- The assistant’s voice has been enhanced to be more natural.
- He will suggest questions to ask in relation to the previous one.
- There will be more results for the same topic to reduce errors.
- Siri can now translate live. From English to German, Italian, Spanish, Chinese and French (and probably in the opposite direction, but it’s not clear). To begin.
- There will be suggestions based on what you are doing right now: mark an appointment in the calendar, reply to a message with your position for example.
- He will be able to learn words from articles you have read. This especially convenient for proper names.
- All this is private, only between you and your device, nothing on the web.
- Siri will open up to third-party developers. We think of Uber.
- In summary: Siri catches up on Google Assistant.
- The Camera application has been reviewed on features and technology.
- The photos have a right to a new format.
- The software part has also been reviewed, notably to better manage low light with optical stabilization.
- It will be possible to create loops from Live Photo (as on Instagram and other social applications). They can also be edited.
- There will be a new “long exposure” mode to create artistic blurring in particular.
- The videos of the “Memories” function can be viewed horizontally and vertically.
All-in-one control center
- More than just one sign for the control center instead of three.
- The interface is reviewed to access more functions.
- 3D Touch will provide access to sub-options.
Unified Lock and Notification Screen
- The lock screen will display all notifications (if desired).
- You can also scroll through the locked screen.
- From a slide to the right on the left, one keeps a quick access to the widgets or the camera.
iMessage synchronized, finally
- iMessage will be entitled to its new batch: the main one is the synchronization via iCloud, which means that your messages read on your iPhone will also be on your Mac and vice versa. Finish the notification torrent when you go home and turn on your Mac.
- There will now be an application drawer to find his stickers more easily.
Apple Pay: Refund your friends
- This is a feature related to both iMessage and Apple Pay: it will be possible to transfer money to friends directly via an iMessage. The thing we can already do with several third-party applications, but this will facilitate transactions.
- Payment may be authenticated by fingerprint.
- This will be compatible with all iOS devices and Apple Watch.
Apple Maps, inside
- Apple Maps wins plans for various shopping malls and airports. For the moment, nothing is announced in France, it will be for later.
- By car, Maps will indicate the allowed speeds.
- The application will also specify the ideal positioning in the lane on routes that have more than one.
Car Play and iOS 11
- By installing iOS 11, you will have an option to not be disturbed while driving.
- This will disable notifications purely and simply. You have to look at the road.
- The passenger may, however, override.
- There will be an automatic reply to the messages, to signal that you are driving.
- In the case of emergency, we can answer “urgent” and the message will pass all the same.
Apple Music and AirPlay 2
- AirPlay 2 comes in and supports multiroom systems.
- This will also work with third-party applications.
- One can make public playlists and share them. As on Spotify.
The App Store revised from top to bottom
- Major update for the App Store that will be completely redesigned.
- Games, apps will have a dedicated tab, a third will be dedicated to the applications selected today. One way to better highlight some apps.
- In-app purchases will have a dedicated place to promote them and tell the user more clearly what they understand.
iOS 11 on iPad: a portable computer
All these new features will happen on the iPad, but the tablet gains other exclusive features, which will bring it closer to a more formal computer.
- Main addition: the arrival of a file manager. We will be able to navigate its tablet as it does in Mac OS, or almost.
- We can do “drag and drop”.
- Multitasking is through with a mission control display, and the ability to overlay two apps. Yes, it is the arrival of a window on iPad.
- It also gains a “real” dock, where you can drag many applications.
- The Apple Pencil is even better supported, we can almost annotate everything.
- The Notes application recognizes handwriting … so it can be used as a keyword for a Spotlight search.