Zooz Control: using your iPhone / Touch as a PC joystick. Here's my opinion...

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Games & Apps' started by bjornkeizers, Dec 31, 2008.

1. bjornkeizers

bjornkeizers New Member

Device:
    iPad
    I'm surprised nobody's talking about Zooz Control Pro. I found it through TouchArcade the other day, but there seems to be no buzz at all. The app was released waaaay back on novemberr 7th, but I can't find a single thread about it.

Zooz control allows you to use your iPhone or Touch as a remote joystick. You install a little piece of software on your PC and Touch, and the two communicate through WiFi.

Here's where it gets good: you can use your accelerometer as a joystick's X and Y axis. In addition to that, there are mappable on-screen buttons, an additional horizontal and vertical axis, and a 'pointer'.

Sounds complicated, but it's actually pretty easy to set up. After viewing some of their videos, I purchased the app -- and was flying within five minutes in FS2004

Please Register or Log in to view images

Sure, it takes a few minutes to tweak the null points and button assignments, but after that... it worked like a charm! I didn't notice any real lag, and the controls were just as responsive as my game pad / joystick. Even my little brother was able to fly the Extra aerobatics plane without any effort

Works great on helicopters too. Much better then my game pad in fact, because the rudder axis is self centering on Zooz control. VC flying works OK as well, because the pointer can be assigned as a hat switch to move about the c*ckpit.

That's probably gibberish to most of you, but hey... FS fans know what I mean

All in all, it's a neat little app. Now I can finally fly without any wires, or without needing to pack my giant Sidewinder Pro.

So, any other users here? Anybody?

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=295856424&mt=8
  2. Pyro5545

Pyro5545 New Member

What's the difference between the lite version and pro?
  3. bjornkeizers

bjornkeizers New Member

Device:
    iPad
    The Lite version has two profiles already programmed in. For Flightsimulator X, and Need for Speed Pro Street. Neither profile can be configured, nor can you add additional profiles. In short, it will only work with these two games.

The Pro version allows you to edit and create new profiles, as well as add labels to all your buttons and sliders. It will work with every game that allows joystick control.

It's a bit strange that they went with this type of demo. Basically, you can't test drive the software if you don't have these two games. I bought it based on the videos alone. A reasonable gamble for 1,59 Euros, but I wouldn't have done so at 10 Euros...