Zodttd is what is wrong with homebrew...

Discussion in 'iOS Emulators' started by Mr530, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Mr530

Mr530 New Member

Donations seem just a bit shady...

NVM i thought more people were under the idea that they were purchasing his software rather than being allowed to preview freeware before the public.

My apologies to Zodttd
  2. AlexRADL

AlexRADL Retired Moderator

Essentially, he has set up a donation center, like many app developers do. The beta tester status is a 'reward' for donating. The beta status for most apps usually goes away after a couple days and a stable version is released. Zodttd could be doing the beta testing himself, instead, he is allowing other people to get an early look at a new app by donating. We (beta testers) are also helping zodttd out by reporting bugs, those bugs are fixed in the stable ("public") release. So, I don't really see a problem with his current donation set up.
  3. eng

eng New Member

Device:
    iPad
    Im fine as long as he doesnt pull a labyrinth, and charge us all to use the apps...
  4. mikey331

mikey331 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    He usually releases a public release around a week later
    His work is great
    and everyone is complaining you have to pay
    You don't!
    He accepts videos (nice ones) of you playing gpSPhone, or psx4all
    If you're really that lazy that you can't make a video then complain all you want, but no one is going to side with you
    Stop complaining!
  5. Danls92

Danls92 Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    You strike me as the type of person that would be posting about how slow the emulators are if he released the betas to the public. Making his apps takes a while, he is perfectly entitled to ask for donations, especially since he still releases the actual program for free.

Now if he charged for the full programs, that would be one thing, but he doesn't. He asks for donations, and in return you get earlier access to his programs. This makes the programs even better by the time the public beta is out, because it ensures that it has been tested.

Besides, he accepts other things such as videos of his emulators as donations.
  6. mikey331

mikey331 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Exactly
    (10char)
  7. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

Ridiculous.

He could just keep his betas to himself and wait until he's damn good and ready to release. But he doesn't. For a donation -- be it money, videos, or whatever else he accepts -- you can become a part of the testing process and help him find bugs and issues for him to fix before he releases it to the general public. You get early and exclusive access to something he's working on. That it's a port is irrelevant. You aren't donating for the software. You're donating for the privilege of being a part of the testing process, which has nothing to do with the original authors of the emulators
  8. Mr530

Mr530 New Member

I think that posting videos is a great way to become a beta tester, but donating money to become one is ridiculous. I'm not saying he doesn't deserve money, but things like beta testing have normally remained private in the homebrew scene to a select few people, and is not announced. Essentially, he is releasing beta work as a lure to get donations.

I realize the title is harsh, but it was meant to grab your attention.

again, he deserves the money, but its the principle that bothers me. Things like donating videos to help his cause seem like an excellent idea, but making cash a standard just seems a bit too shady. Unfortunately I admit I cannot think of a better system.

My biggest problem is that he doesn't give any of the donation money to the original developers (or if he does, then my bad for this whole topic).
  9. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

The original developers have nothing whatsoever to do with being a part of his beta test process! You are conflating two completely separate things. He is not accepting donations for the software. He is accepting donations to be a beta tester. What you are gaining the privilege of testing as a product of your donation (whatever it may be) is wholly irrelevant.
  10. super51fan

super51fan Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    on his website he said that he made psx4all basically from scratch