*Ziphone Warning*

Discussion in 'iPod touch 1.1.4 Jailbreak' started by mikec1985, Jun 17, 2008.

1. mikec1985

mikec1985 Active Member

Device:
    iPad
    I hate seeing every other thread saying "my ipod messed up" and come to find out they used ziphone. So i wanted to share with you all what jailbreaks are safe and can NOT brick your ipod.
    First read this. http://sleepers.net/news/ . It will give you a general understanding of what ziphone does to your device. It from big boss site some of you probably seen this already but for those who havent.

Next time you jailbreak i would highly recommend iLiberty or Winpwn/Pwnage.

You can get iLiberty here http://george.insideiphone.com/index.php/iliberty/
    It really easy to use, its a lil similar to ziphone, but SAFE. For ipods all you have to do is simply check Jailbreak and then click "Go for it". Easy right?

Please Register or Log in to view images

It also has all the advanced stuff like enter recovery mode, enter normal mode etc.

You can also use these. Winpwn or Pwnage. They are basically the same except one is for windows and one is for mac.

Windows- http://winpwn.com/index.php/Main_Page
    Be sure to read the read me first after downloading. There were some itunes dll files you had to dl and put into the winpwn folder but they are not on the site so maybe he incorporated it in the latest release. But if you need them and cant find em let me know ill upload mine.
    Here a really good turorial for winpwn by khaos http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56883&highlight=winpwn

MAC- http://wikee.iphwn.org/news:pwnage1dot1_announcement (nothing else needed for pwnage) <correct me if im wrong. Pwnage also has a built in updater so you can check for updates in the program itself. Here a good Pwnage tut. from modmyifone http://www.modmyifone.com/wiki/index.php/PwnageTool_OSX_Usage_Guide_PWN_It

Alright ppl now you know some good programs to jailbreak that are SAFE. I hope this helped you guys if not oh well it was worth a try

EDIT: Here is the article about ziphone from big boss

Ziphone Warning

“But Ziphone works fine for me? Why should I avoid it?”

I hear this all the time. It’s simple. Ziphone does permanent changes to your phone. Zibri is a terrible coder that stole most the exploits for ZiPhone and did not create them. Zibri admits that he cannot code. Ziphone does work most of the time. But when it does not work, you are most likely left with an unfixable brick. Other jailbreak software such as iLiberty+, Pwnage, will not leave you with a brick. Everything they do can be reverted safely. This means if they fail on you, you just restore and try again. No harm done.

With ziphone, your damage is permanent. It’s a crap shoot. It may work 9 times out of 10, but on that 10th time that it fails out, you can expect to be purchasing a new iPhone. Sounds great right? Indeed, this is so common that the term “ziphoned” actually has meaning (a bricked phone caused by ZiPhone). Check out the google search on the term and see the problems for yourself.

If you have used Ziphone and your phone is currently working, you do not need to do anything. Just don’t use it again. The next time could be fatal. You’ve been warned!

Question:

Could you please elaborate on the permanent changes caused by Ziphone?
    All unlocking/jailbreaking methods modify the phone in some way, at least they patch baseband, and pwnage patches bootloader.
    I know that Ziphone downgrades the 4.6 bootloader to 3.9 (which has been thought to be permanent until pwnage came out), but so does iLiberty+, iDemocracy and any other unlock method that is not based on pwnage

Answer:

First off, iLiberty+ does not downgrade your bootloader by default. It downgrades you to 3.9 fakeblank which is easily reversible and not dangerous. This is not the same thing as 3.9 used by Ziphone! Ziphone downgrades the bootloader to 3.9 automatically. If this process fails, you’re done. This process considered so risky that Apple does not do any bootloader upgrades in their firmware packages! They could have put a stop to all the unlocks when 1.1.2 came out by having the 1.1.1 to 1.1.2 firmware upgrade upgrade old bootloaders to 4.6 but they considered this too risky and did not do it! Ziphone does it anyway.

Zibri has had so many releases that fix “type-o’s”. That’s just silly. The code is so sloppy and buggy. Some versions will unlock even when you did not ask it to resulting in a downgraded bootloader just on a request to jailbreak! Neat

Ziphone is also very dangerous because it does all the flashing (most risky part) during the first phase of the ram disk. During this phase, allocating too much memory can result in ram disk corruption. This is very bad. You want to minimize the amount of memory used as much as possible and you only care about stability. Ziphone doesn’t worry about this. Due to the technique used to boot the ramdisk, the memory is easily corrupted if you try to allocate too much of it. The result is that you are corrupting the very data that you are flashing!

iLiberty+, iPlus both use a smaller ram disk to flash. This minimizes the amount of memory used and takes great care to prevent memory allocations from corrupting the ram disk. Then these tools come back on a second pass to install payloads. This is done after the flashing is done where there is no risk.

As a result, several ziphone users have reported problems with no edge, no wifi, no bluetooth or a combination of the 3. In many cases this is unfixable. Zibri has added a wifi “fix” to his app which works sometimes, but this programs a bogus network address that is the same on every phone.

And the "wifi fix"

Big warning to any ZiPhone users. Zibri’s WiFi fix is extremely dangerous. It hard codes your WiFi adapter’s MAC address to “00:5a:49:42:52:49″. This is ASCII for “Zibri”. This will cause major networking issues. All network cards sold are guaranteed to have a unique MAC address. It’s the lowest layer of how packets are routed. Now any two phones on the same network will not be able to operate properly on the network. Bottom line: stay away from ZiPhone.
  2. Manic Nimrod

Manic Nimrod Well-Known Member

ziphone is fine, this thread is not needed.
  3. mikec1985

mikec1985 Active Member

Device:
    iPad
    Read this http://sleepers.net/news/ "ziphone warning"
  4. mrgas2004

mrgas2004 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    ive used ziphone like 30 times theres nothing wrong with it.
  5. plokiju

plokiju New Member

You should stop. It is much worse than iLiberty
  6. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Its only harmful to iphones. Its the unlocking method thats not safe. Thats what I have been trying to tell people who are asking what unlock to use on there phone. But since 90% of you used it on your ipods your quick to suggest it to an iphone user. Jailbreaking is fine. Unlocking with ziphone is crazzy.
  7. dac113

dac113 New Member

ziphone is great!!! The pods crash cuz of installing "unsafe apps" or hittin the RED warning button that says "this app may cause harm to your ipod"
  8. Jj--1992

Jj--1992 New Member

"With ziphone, your damage is permanent" :- that quote is taking from that link you gave me and its completely not true.

You cannot brick an iPhone/iPod Touch unless you completely wipe it. I have used ZiPhone so many times and I can tell you that I have never had any magor problems. Ziphone actually helps with problems like letting you go into dfu and recovery mode easily.

ZiPhone and iLiberty are both good in different ways, its just like PC or a Mac, they both do the same thing but are good in different things; Thats why people buy them.

This thread is pointless.
  9. plokiju

plokiju New Member

Yes, it is more dangerous to an iPhone, but it still can be bad for iPods too. It changes the bootloader. On the other hand, iLiberty does the same thing with no risk, so why not use it?
  10. mcdavid68

mcdavid68 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    it keeps sayin iphone, what about ipot? i have jb with ziphone about 5 times, it worked 3 our of 5, it is fine right now, and havent had any probs