Ziphone & Soft Upgrade Question

Discussion in 'iPod touch 1.1.4 Jailbreak' started by racergirl_744, Mar 5, 2008.

1. racergirl_744

racergirl_744 New Member

[This is probably a really stupid question]

But, I understand that for the Ziphone 2.5 1.1.4 jailbreak that you have to be in 1.1.4 for it, well i did the soft upgrade and but i'd rather be with the ziphones jailbreak...so could i just stay in the soft upgrade mode and then just jailbreak it from there? or do i have to start fresh in 1.1.4?

this is probably the stupidest question ever.
  2. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I want a Wii. Buy me a Wii.

Anyhoo. With ZiPhone, it is better to do it from a Fresh restore of 1.1.4, so the soft upgrade won't mess with ZiPhone.

Also, if you used the soft update, why use ZiPhone?
  3. racergirl_744

racergirl_744 New Member

yeah thats what i thoughtt.
    Well I upgraded to the 1.1.4 but last night I accidentally restored and I cant seem to get alot of the apps working now that i re-upgraded to 1.1.4...but i could get the apps working before i accidentally force restored it. So i was thinking about trying the ZiPhone jailbreak to see if that would possibly make things better.
  4. Whosthatrandom

Whosthatrandom New Member

(If anything I say below doesn't make any sense, then say so... I barely understand the true meanings of some of the more complicated words, but I've worked them out through a combination of Wikipedia searches and utter guesswork.)

If you can get the ZiPhone jailbreak to work, then it's the perfect solution, because it works from a genuine, unmodified firmware version. Therefore, almost nothing can go wrong (as long as it works in the first place...), and if it does go wrong, it is by your doing.

This is basically how ZiPhone works:
    1. Using a bootloader exploit that is exposed when an iPod/iPhone is put into recovery mode, the program gains root access to the device.
    2. It grants root access to the user by editing /etc/fstab (whatever the hell that is, I have no idea...)
    3. It places Installer.app and any other neccessary frameworks on the device, and gives them root ownership status.

And since every iPod/iPhone is essentially the same, and the process does not involve downloading of large files, essentially nothing can go wrong.

On the other hand, a soft upgrade does something completely different, which is download a huge firmware file, decrypt it (which is arguably illegal...), and manually place the appropriate files in the correct place. It doesn't update something called the kernel, which is an underlying system that controls how everything else behaves. Therefore, there are likely to be some bugs, and the system as a whole will be less efficient.

In short; yes, ZiPhone is better, but only if you can get it to work in the first place!
    1 person likes this.
  5. racergirl_744

racergirl_744 New Member

^^Thanks! That really helped!

Please Register or Log in to view images