ZiPhone Gone?

Discussion in 'iPod touch 1.1.3 Jailbreak' started by Mindfield, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

Great. So I get home today with my shiny new upgrade (the 32 gig Touch), go balls-out building a new playlists, and now, before I copy anything on to it I wanted to jailbreak using ZiPhone to see if it worked.

Only I can't. Because the Rapid$hare link to ZiPhone 2.3 has been deleted by the person who uploaded it. Is there a functioning link to it? Or to any functional version of it, for that matter?
  2. pheonix_1018

pheonix_1018 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    in my video (link in sig) i have the download for 2.0 which works great.
  3. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

Sweet -- but the link in your YouTube video doesn't include the GUI (ziphonegui.exe) that you refer to in your video, which relies on it. I'm attempting it old school right now.
  4. kiko

kiko New Member

5. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    There is no difference between each version of ZiPhone for the iPod Touch.

Each Change has been made for the benefit of the iPhone.

Also, I suggest you don't use ZiPhone for your 32GB. You'll just get very angry.
  6. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

I spent a cumulative total of 12 hours jailbreaking my 16 gig to a proper working 1.1.3, owing to numerous misadventures and general issues (some of which were my fault). I have a long fuse. (I've done time as a programmer. I've learned zen-level patience when dealing with truculent electronics. Well -- yeah, there's cursing and swearing and oaths of obliteration, but I keep going back and trying 'til it works. Maybe I should have said I'm a masochist...)

Anyway. Yeah... first try: BSD errors. Second try, BSD errors, but slightly further on. Finicky. The BSD errors seem to be caused by random spontaneous USB disconnection, which means A) The jailbreak procedure monkeys with the connection which causes Windows grief, or B) Windows is having trouble with a dirty or excessive data load across the USB cable. Knowing Windows as I do, I'm going with B, and B means go. At least 'til I get fed up with it.

ETA: Which would be now...

Maybe I'll try again tomorrow. Or maybe I'll have to use the old school method. Oh, how I have learned to hate that method...
  7. trigg3r

trigg3r New Member

There were guys who could sucessfuly jailbreak their 16gb ipods with ziphone. Some with no installer.app and some with keyboard problems.
  8. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Why dont you download the source code and help us figure out what makes it tick?

Please Register or Log in to view images

9. notyoda

notyoda New Member

many thanks

mindfield

thanks for the good post. i also have a new 32 (bought in Japan) and am having more than trouble getting it JB and working properly. Your post was helpful.

I hope you post a guide for guide for JBing a 32gb ipodtouch for 1.1.3 with apps.

Hope only...back to searching through countless worthless posts for the answer to my questions...

good luck and please keep us updated

I am not yoda but if i was....
  10. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

Would that I could but I haven't programmed in years (anything more than some web stuff anyway), so I'm ridiculously rusty. Plus, my ideas about why it isn't working conflict with the fact that it does work on 8 gig devices -- which is really counterintuitive because there's nothing hardware or software-wise that should make that so; 8 gigs differ only from higher capacity units only in the size of the memory chips used. The only thing I can come up with is that maybe the 16 and 32 gig units use higher latency NAND chips which is causing a data pileup on the USB line which is forcing the USB disconnection. If that's the case, a slight delay in the data streaming routine might fix it. Either that or the higher capacity chips take up just enough extra power that it's trying to draw too much current when it spits all that data out to the Touch. *shrug*