Zii Egg Review

Discussion in 'iDevice competitors' started by Milesneptune, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Milesneptune

Milesneptune Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)

Please Register or Log in to view images

The Zii Egg has a multi-touch 3.5-inch LCD. Although it is multi-touch Android does not support multi-touch. The Zii Egg features two operating systems, the operating system developed by ZiiLabs for the ZIi Egg and Google Android. The Zii Egg is open-source which means anyone can develop for it, unlike Apple's iPod Touch. At this time ZiiLabs is offering only the developer kit for $399 which comes with a 32GB Zii Egg.

The Processor: The Zii Egg features a Media-Rich Applications Processor.
    The revolutionary chip delivers a superior experience of media-rich applications on a mobile device. It's the perfect processing solution for scalability, flexibility and low-energy consumption. It is great for gaming and provide amazing quality in your applications.

OpenGL ES: The Zii Egg features something called OpenGL ES. The powerful 3D OpenGL ES capabilities of the underlying ZMS-05 processor enable developers to create compelling 3D games and applications that take full advantage of the 42 million textured pixels/sec fill rate.

SDHC Card Slot: The High Capacity SD card slot provides the removable external storage capacity of up to 32GB. Combined with the internal memory capacity of up to 32GB, the Zii EGG can become a 64GB portable media player.

The Zii Egg will come in: 0GB, 1GB, 2GB, 3GB, 4GB, 5GB, 6GB, 8GB, 9GB, 10GB, 12GB, 16GB, 17GB, 18GB, 20GB, 24GB, 32GB, 33GB, 34GB, 36GB, 40GB, 48GB and 64GB.

Hardware GPS Receiver: The Zii EGG has a dedicated hardware GPS chip that allows it to receive signals directly from satellites anywhere in the world. The Zii EGG's hardware GPS receiver lets developers create advanced location-based applications and enhanced 3D Navigation systems. Improved location accuracy, coverage, and responsiveness are benefits that only hardware GPS can deliver.

click the attatchment to view in better quality.

Attached Files:

2. stillercity

stillercity New Member

How can the Zii Egg come in less than 32gb? The default internal is 32gb, then you can add more to the SD card...

In any case, nice thread.
  3. twitchy204

twitchy204 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    i'm fairly sure they will be released with an option for 32gb internal, an option for 0gb internal, and probably some in between.

i wouldn't call this a review, because i see no pictures nor am i reading anything that hints to me that you've handled/own one of these devices. i'd call it an overview.
  4. powerpup118

powerpup118 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    FYI and BTW Android may have no 'support' for multi-touch but there is multi touch on android OS.

You have to enable it with a mod. (which several people have done)
  5. bobby681

bobby681 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    This is pretty much all just copied from the zii.com site. Why just change a few words and pass it off as your own review?

Case in point:

6. Milesneptune

Milesneptune Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    some of it is written by me and i did choose what i selected i wanted to write a nice review for you
  7. stillercity

stillercity New Member

I'm pretty sure that if the Zii Egg comes bundled with the Android OS (which it might, but it'll probably come bundled with Plaszma), it will support multi-touch. I mean, that's one of the biggest attractions, a 10 finger multi-touch screen.
  8. awal

awal Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    As twitchy pointed out, this isn't really a review seeing as you haven't handled one. Very informative, but not a review nonetheless.

And I still, after all this time since its announcement, haven't been able to discover the processor speed of the Egg. I'm not sure why that's never in the spec lists.

Multitouch support isn't based on the device, it's based on the OS. Since Android doesn't allow multitouch out of the box, it'll need to be "hacked" in much the same way as other Android-based handhelds.
  9. wyndwarrior

wyndwarrior Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    It says here:

I don't know what a Gigaflop or a PetaFlop is, so...
  10. iptman

iptman Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    It has 2 ARM 926EJ-S processors

http://www.arm.com/products/CPUs/ARM926EJ-S.html

http://www.industrial-embedded.com/products/search/fm/id/?42264