Youtube saving possible?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by slained, Nov 14, 2007.

1. slained

slained New Member

So I'm thinking of getting a Touch, for travelling to and from school which takes me about 1.5 hours each way. The custom applications, and gba/nes emulators are very appealing to me, but it is the youtube feature in the touch is really one of the more things I am looking forward to. One problem I find is the fact that when I am on the bus and also definately when I am in the subway I wouldn't get wifi and would not be able to access youtube videos. I'd really like it if there was a feature to download youtube videos, or a way to play them offline. I mean I couldddd do it at home saving .flv files then converting them to h.264/MP4 format, but that would mean spending alot of time, which I could be just watching the videos there.

Anyways the main questions I want to ask is:
    How does the youtube work on the touch? When I tried it, it seemed to be a totally different application to load them, is it a .flv file that is loaded and played? If so, advent of the freedom of development of custom apps, wouldn't it be possible to program some applications that play .flv files on the touch?
    Would it be possible to download at all with the Touch, not just youtubes but maybe pictures, videos(MP4/H.264), and songs (not sure if you already can)
    and the last question, would it be possible to load other sites that use .flv (e.g. Veoh)

Also I asked the apple guy at the store I went to if it was possible to load the video (pause) at home then go on the bus and play the video which fully loaded he replied no, I'm not sure if hes right on this, can someone confirm?

Thanks for reading this rather newbie post,

Slained
  2. igottjam

igottjam New Member

IIRC Videora will download and convert youtube videos for you.
  3. slained

slained New Member

thats a program for the pc I think, Im talking about an actual Ipod Touch program
  4. stinkeye

stinkeye New Member

Welcome to the site.. i'll answer part of your question. As of now, the touch can't play flash videos. Youtube on the touch is made up of mpeg videos, not flv. There also is no program yet that allows you to save youtube videos directly.

There are however tons of sites with video converted to mpeg that let you stream directly, but that does require wi-fi.
  5. slained

slained New Member

ah thanks for the reply, so that means that videos are cached in a mpeg format, so I guess it would be possible to save them (or just transfer the file from the cache) into the touch with some programming? The youtube application, does it simply just link to a different web address for the mpeg format of the youtube video? I know this ones a little harder to answer

btw, thanks for the welcoming, and I appreciate the fast responses
  6. stinkeye

stinkeye New Member

I do know for sure that streaming MP3s are cached and possible to save (I think the same applies to videos), but you would need a PC to transfer the cached file onto your computer and then transfer it into your audio/video folder... that isn't very convinient. In other words, you can't be out, watch a video, then transfer it out of cache to watch on your ipod without a computer.

As for youtube, they made an interface specifically for the touch and iphone, to my knowledge they don't link elsewhere.. it's just made up of converted flv files.
  7. slained

slained New Member

well the iTunes app works to download files directly onto the IpoT right? I'm just inquiring because I am a computers student and I could possibly try to program such apps, although I'm sure there are much more capable programmers out there that could beat me to it, or already have done so. Would you know how the file caching works, I mean where the files are located, and could you clarify the how the streaming files can be saved, how its done? Thank You
  8. stinkeye

stinkeye New Member

You're familiar with jailbreaking right? You'll need MobileFinder. After listening to a streaming mp3, you can go to root/media_sym/tmp/mediacache on Finder, find the file (it'll have a long and random name) rename to mp3, transfer it out to your PC, then transfer it back to your ipod with itunes.

seeqpod.com lets you stream mp3s, and once fully loaded, will save the mp3 to root/media_sym/tmp/mediacache.. but again what's the point of that? I think it is possible to come out with a program that does the work for you, but nothing yet.
  9. Ryuukumori

Ryuukumori New Member

There's a perfect online FLV YouTube Converter:

http://vixy.net

All you do is copy> paste the URL of the YouTube video and it converts online for you to download. Make sure to rename the file after downloading. Takes about 10 min.