Your thoughts on the L4D2 Boycott

Discussion in 'Console & PC Gaming' started by Led, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Led

Led Banned

Well, if you didn't know there's a boycott of Left 4 Dead 2 in the form of a steam group. And it's not a small group of disgruntled customers; the group has over 22,000 members that have all pledged not to buy L4D2. Here's the list of reasons why they're boycotting from the group; in a nut shell, people are upset that Valve is not delivering the DLC that they promised for L4D1 and are abandoning a one year old product making it obsolete and will divide the fan base. Anyway here's the full list:
    So there it is. What do yall think? I absolutely agree with everything they have to say but, honestly, i'll still probably buy it. (should i attach a poll?)
  2. eric_chaos

eric_chaos Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Oh piff.

Im gonna buy it.
  3. ZombieKiller

ZombieKiller Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    Boycotts/Petitions started by people on the interwebz do not work.
  4. iCrap

iCrap Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    ^^ 22,000 poeple? i think it would work 0_o
  5. ZombieKiller

ZombieKiller Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    Losing 22,000 from buying their game is nothing.
  6. Led

Led Banned

Hey, it's valve. You never know. But anyway NO ONE IS ANSWERING THE QUESTION!!!
  7. KevN

KevN Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    I think it's stupid. If you like Left 4 Dead that much that you want to keep it around, then you would buy 2.
  8. MrBrightside

MrBrightside Active Member

Yup stupid. I don't see why you wouldn't buy a new game, just because you didn't get old DLC from the first one.
  9. Clownassasin

Clownassasin New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Seriously? just fork up the $60 and buy the game, i would buy the game but im thinking about selling my 360
  10. InaudibleWhisper

InaudibleWhisper Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Considering the sequel is offering not only more content than the first with 5 campaigns instead of 4 plus new modes and enemies, but a vastly updated AI director with control over weather, lighting and even the environment itself; I think it is totally worthy to be released as a full blown sequel.

As Valve have said, Left 4 Dead 1 is not a game that can constantly be built upon. To have a platform they must first create an engine that can handle it and the new Left 4 Dead 2 engine with the weather, day and night cycle and real zombie mutilation with guts and rag doll physics is something that they do see having longevity, but what they are adding is simply too much to be DLC. The Left 4 Dead engine needed too many fundamental changes to be the basis for a platform and Valve have no obligation to vastly upgrade their engine and create more content than the entire first game and release it at a hugely cut price as DLC. Fair enough if L4D2 was just 4 new campaigns, but it is much more than that. It is the amount of content you would typically see in a full retail sequal so there is NO need to complain.

Not only that but they ARE going to continue to update Left 4 Dead 1. Also 90% of the people in the boycott will buy the game, Valve deserve the support and money, and 22,000 is nothing compared to Left 4 Dead's huge sales.