Your guide to being a better member.

Discussion in 'Site feedback, suggestions, and discussions' started by David., Apr 13, 2010.

1. David.

David. Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch

Please Register or Log in to view images

Being a part of a forum is fun, but each member has their own responsibility to themselves, and to other members. This guide will show each and every individual member, how to contribute to the iPod touch Fans/iPad IMO community.

1. Read the Rules
    This is probably the biggest responsibility a member has on iPod touch Fans/iPad IMO. The rules are here for a reason. They outline what is, and is not, accepted here on the forums. It is understandable that nobody wants to waste time on them; but in the end, you could save yourself a lot of trouble with other members and staff. After you read the rules, you will also get a sense of how the forum is run.

2. Search
    A common mistake by new members, and some older ones, is to post a topic, that has already been talked about before. This ranges from everything to jailbreaking, rumors, or even the Off Topic threads that are there for fun. Failure to search, and posting a topic instantly clutters up the forums. Also, it can reduce flaming/trolling if the responding member isn't mature.

3. The Report Button

This is probably the most beneficial button on the forum. This button allows you to tell a staff member, that a post(or thread) is violating the rules.(Mentioned in number one) This helps to filter out spam, and other wrong behavior on the forum. So let's all keep the forum clean! Remember, the staff can not see every thing that appears on the forums, so this is another responsibility you have.

4. Behavior
    This is not often talked about. How you conduct yourself on a forum, might not seem important, but should be considered. Every forum member is different, and unique. You should never "bash" or "flame" another member for having a question, even if that question has been asked so many times before. You can always ask them to search, and then help them out a little, by pointing them to a thread that answers their question. If everyone did this, the forum would be a much better place for all.

5. Help?
    So you think you can help others? Well, give it a try! If you see a thread, that hasn't already been answered, pop in and see if you can help. If you can't, you don't need to make a post saying you can't; just move on. If you can, be thoughtful, and explain the answer to them, in a way, they could understand. This will move things along faster, and someone will learn something.

6. Grammar
    I understand that we aren't all from the same place, and our vernacular changes because of where we are. This is only to suggest that a member should make their posts as legible as possible. Make it clear what you are talking/asking about so that other members can fully understand, and help you to the best of their ability.

7. Know your Staff
    There are many staff on the forum. Most of which, will be glad to help you with a problem you have. Now this being said, you don't need to spam a staff member asking them millions of questions, because then we wouldn't need threads! So just stop by a staff member's profile to say "hello" every once in a while. Also, please remember, Staff members are human too.

Admin:

Super Moderators:

Moderators:

For a more, in-depth list of your staff, you can visit the Forum Leader List

Now that you have read this guide, I am positive you will become a productive member of the iPod touch Fans/iPad IMO community. Enjoy!

P.S.: Special thanks to Blake and Kiks52 for helping me with this thread. Without them, it would have taken many, many more hours.
  2. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

You could alternatively link to the 'forum leaders list' for the staff portion. Nice job on the rest.
  3. jmwerkus

jmwerkus Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    i never knew that there were normal mods. great job
  4. David.

David. Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I think I was told not to post that. So I thought I would include them all here. And thank you. Much time went into this.
  5. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Great job!

Just a few things:

It should say "Emeritus" I think you missed a few letters.

And "Their are many staff at iPod touch Fans" should be there.

But awesome nonetheless.

6. David.

David. Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Thank you Kiks, I guess two errors aren't that bad, although I dont see the Emeriti one.
  7. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Excellent write up. Except for the semicolon misuse in the Grammar section

Just drop the semicolon altogether. Also, carrying on the pedantic spirit: Kiks, "Emeriti" is the proper Latin plural form of "Emeritus".
  8. David.

David. Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Lol, replace with , or start a new sentence?
  9. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

Erm... why would you be told not to link to an existing guide and instead be encouraged to post a redundant list that's in a rather large font and, frankly, kind of obnoxious looking. That said, great job with the guide. It should help cut down on poor forum etiquette and lower the amount of work staff has to do. Thanks!
  10. David.

David. Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Well, I was told not to post a link, ask Kiks. But thank you. I appreciate all feedback. Just wanted to help iPtF