Your Favourite Comic Reader for 3.0

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 3.0' started by iLINUX, Aug 9, 2009.

1. iLINUX

iLINUX New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
    I was happy with iComic but it doesn't work on 3.0.

My question is, is there a app like iComic that doesn't require you to convert the cbr/cbz?

Thanks

EDIT: With the converted apps, do they have that huge delay between pages?
  2. zDSpider

zDSpider Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yes it does work on 3.0. We're talking about iComic v2.5 here, right ? Unfortunately it only supports cbz. I made the mistake of copying 10 volumes of Watchmen in cbr and had to use iFile on their asses. Took me 15 minutes to convert them to cbz. It's almost difficult extracting them "on the go" with iFile because you need the unrar, zip, p-zip, 7-zip and other dependencies from Cydia (I used Cyder). But you could manually extract .cbr files on your computer (they're basically RAR archives), compress them to ZIP and rename their extension from .zip to .cbz.

You could also try Comic Reader Mobi, tho I haven't tried it yet (such an ugly Springboard icon). I hear it supports both .cbz and .cbr.
  3. lightningdude

lightningdude New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I just bit the bullet and bought iComic in the appstore. It's the same iComic I used before, just compatible with 3.0. Since the developer isn't updating the Cydia version anymore, I struggled with what to do, too.

I'm glad I bought iComic. Like I said, it's the same iComic I used before, you just put the files in a different place.
  4. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

Or you could put them in the /var/mobile/Media/Photos/iComic folder, per the Ultimate Comic thread in the Jailbreak Applications forum. 2.5 also added an FTP server for easier uploads.
  5. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    iComic 2.5 is my current fave. Before Yama updated it to the current stable version I was using myComics and ComicZeal due to their user-friendly resize & sync apps. However iComic 2.5's new features and stability make manual resizing and syncing worth the effort (myComics does not support folders for better comic organization and ComicZeal has some small niggly in-comic navigation features that I don't like such as the inability to 'throw' the page). Each to their own though and if you can't abide syncing your own comics I'd recommend trying myComics or ComicZeal.
  6. lightningdude

lightningdude New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Ah, that thread must've been updated since I last read it. The comics went in a different folder before, and it didn't work when I upgraded. I may just transfer them all over now.

Edit: That'll teach me for only waiting for the thread starter to update his first posts... xp
    Anyway, it worked, and now I'll leave my comics there. Updating iComic tends to be troublesome, so if I should ever have to reinstall it, my comics will remain intact.
  7. rd41983

rd41983 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Alright, I just got iComic V2.5 (appstore edition) but I still can't actually view my comics. I've placed them all in the //var/mobile/Media/Photos/iComic directory; when I open iComic I see the home screen and select 'Read comics,' I can then see my zip files listed but when I select one to view I get the following screens:

Please Register or Log in to view images

As you can see from the last screen, once I make a final selection, the comic disappears from the screen (same thing happens with .cbz files).

I get the feeling I'm missing something obvious
    Please help
  8. lightningdude

lightningdude New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    In the settings menu, there's an option to hide the ones you've read already. Disable that, and you should be fine. Unless it's a bigger problem.
  9. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Yup I must update it soon.... been busy with many other things though.. if you check out the downloadable iComic FAQ it gives you info on what to do (though it was written for App Store iComic 1.3 so is somewhat outdated)