You Press Dial And Nothing Happens?

Discussion in 'iPod touch VoIP and Telephony' started by HaGGardSmurf, Jan 2, 2008.

1. HaGGardSmurf

HaGGardSmurf New Member

Background Info:

I have been using the application since it came out and I have experience in programming so for me its easy to see how the developers have made the application.

Note; most of the time if an application is released to the public has an ugly/very bad GUI (appearance) it will most likely be buggy or glitchy... In this case the application was the least of the TouchMod team's worries, which is understandable

Steps The App Goes Through:

1) Connect to the SIP Server (your registar)
    2) Send the server your username and password
    3) Attempt to call the number

Application Info:

If the server rejects this information, nothing will happen on your iPod. If the server is taking a long time to respond and you time out, again nothing will happen on your iPod. Basically when you click dial it goes through all the steps. If any step fails, there is no notification... Basically the only notification you get will be the ringing sound if you have successfully connected to the SIP server and the call is being made.

If you click Dial and nothing happens do the following:

1) Make sure account information is correct
    2) Check your password, it is CaSe SeNsItIvE. Your iPod will cap the first letter of your pw by default, make sure to turn shift off before typing your password.
    3) Make sure you dial "00" + Country Code + Area Code + Phone Number (Your country code you should know off by heart if not I believe in one of the stickys there is a link to a list with the codes)
    4) Try calling during non peak times, at night, weekdays etc etc...
    5) Call a landline rather then a cell phone, the cell phone may have bad reception
    6) Verify your headphones are plugged in far enough
    7) If you have unplugged your headphones while in the app or convo you will have to restart the application
    8) Try to call on your computer
    9) Look for a demo of a pay service

Debugging:

If you can call on your computer but not your iPod, go through steps 1 - 7. If it all works then make sure you have a strong WiFi connection. Still if you cannot call on your iPod try a different provider. (Step 9)

Note; services you have to pay for will generally be better quality since they will have less people then a free service and they will also have money to buy more servers and improve their service.

Hopefully reading over this has improved your understanding of the application and will aid in the debugging of it. Hopefully also keep the threads asking the same question about Dial not working to a minimum. Feel free to ask any more questions here...
  2. bard1290

bard1290 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Wow this is about as good as it gets.This should replace some of the others. A mod needs to sticky this right away. Thank you HaGGardSmurf.
  3. Rawd

Rawd New Member

Ya.. good post.. This helped me earlier today.
  4. HaGGardSmurf

HaGGardSmurf New Member

NP, All these questions about this program can be solved if you understand the program itself... I hope it gets stickied because it will cut down alot on the spam saying "Dial doesnt work help me"
  5. rokrboy

rokrboy Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPod touch
    topic stickied. Good guide.
  6. HaGGardSmurf

HaGGardSmurf New Member

Cool thanks! Hopefully most debugging problems will be solved!
  7. CanadaCam

CanadaCam New Member

If I'm at home it works no Problem, on different wifi networks it does not work,
    there must some settings not allowing the SW to communicate.
  8. HaGGardSmurf

HaGGardSmurf New Member

Its because at home you have a good internet connection, when your out, these WiFi hot spots are being used by numerous people so it slows the connection alot. Where exactly do you live?
  9. VAZZ

VAZZ New Member

I tried everything, but it still doesn't work ...

Please Register or Log in to view images

edit: I tried calling 20 times and than when I posted my comment it started suddenly working

... I did not change anything. Thnx for the help anyway

!!!
  10. lachlan438

lachlan438 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    good work, nice guide