yet another question about jailbreaking

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by geeza23, Mar 24, 2010.

1. geeza23

geeza23 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    hi guys awesome forum here and i'm glad to say i'm a proud owner of a new 32 gb iPod touch 3g,i have been following jailbreaking for a while now and know about the whole greenpoison situation
    my question is if it did get released or if i do a tethered jailbreaking now, do i lose all my data and stuff onto it?
  2. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    1. Greenpois0n may not be untethered. It shoudl be said again that the Dev Team and others have categorically stated that no one has as yet exploited teh new boot rom.

2. If you need to re-jailbreak your iDevice then you will need to restore to a new or custom OS first and so you will lose your data and stuff. Do manual back ups first.
  3. br0adband

br0adband New Member

If the OP has a 32GB 3rd gen iPod touch running firmware 3.1.3 there is no Jailbreak currently, tethered or untethered. Or did I miss something in the past 10 minutes I should be made aware of?

Please Register or Log in to view images

If the 32GB iPod touch you got (speaking to geeza23) has 3.1.2 on it out of the box, a tethered Jailbreak is possible using blackra1n - so don't update to 3.1.3 if it's got 3.1.2 on it out of the box...
  4. geeza23

geeza23 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    oh no i think i was a bit misleading haha my bad
    well i've got 3.1.3 out of the box and yeah i know its un-jailbreakable but i was wondering in the near future "hopefully" if we can jailbreak or even with current jailbreakable ipod touches once u jailbreak it do u lose everything on it?i was just wondering coz what if i have like say app date how do i back it up
  5. br0adband

br0adband New Member

Nobody working on the Jailbreak would probably come forth with that info, but... considering how blackra1n works, it's entirely possible that you could do a JB on 3.1.3 at some point and it just modifies what's necessary without requiring a total wipe of the device.

Until such a JB is released, we'll just have to wait.

I'd guess most people that back up their devices use iTunes; I'm not aware of anything else that actually works in terms of a device backup except that.
  6. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I was answering his direct question br0adband, not discussing whether he could jailbreak his device currently, which he didn't ask anyway... your unnecessary sarcasm wasn't appropriate. meh...