Yet another confused college kid...

Discussion in 'Mac & OS X' started by ash09, May 28, 2009.

1. ash09

ash09 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    So I'm going off to college in August, and my school does not have a preference over Mac/PC.

I can count the number of times I've used a Mac on my hands (excluding back in elementary school, with Mac Classics and iMacs running OS7 or OS8), so I don't really have a lot of experience with them. However, the Apple products I own have more than exceeded my expectations, and everyone I know who has a Macbook absolutely loves it.

My problem is that it seems for the cost at least, I could get way more out of a PC laptop than with a Mac that's the same price.

Here's what I'd need my laptop to do:
    -Microsoft Office
    -Photoshop
    -Video (ie. converting videos for iPod, DVD ripping, etc)
    -iTunes (which I've heard runs much better on a Mac, one of the reasons I'm considering)

All these things could be accomplished on either machine, so I'm really stuck here. I can't decide.

Necessities:
    -BATTERY LIFE. Major factor when around campus, not always near a charger.
    -Stability. I'm having some major issues with my NVIDIA graphics card on my Dell Latitude, and it's driving me absolutely insane. I need a machine that I can use every day.
    -Lightweight. I can't be breaking my back around lugging an 8 lb laptop, but I don't want a MB Air, too fragile, I'd be afraid I'd break it.

Another question: I was listening to Leo Laporte's radio show a few weeks ago, and another girl my age called in asking about Macbooks. Leo said that she could probably use her Windows XP installation disks from her Dell laptop on her MB and run Bootcamp with that copy of XP. Is this true?

Any input would be helpful!
  2. hahn24

hahn24 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I just finished my first year at college and i have one of the older macbooks and i absolutly loved it. It has never crashed or anything and ive used it for all my papers (which you will have alot of) watching movies, burning cd's, and so much more. alot of my friends up at school have a pc and theirs crashed a few times and they lost all there projects and stuff. I have VMWare and i have Windows XP and i have Ubuntu on it too. so if there are ever any .exe programs i need to run i can. IMO i personally love my computer. hope it helps!
  3. that one guy

that one guy New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    go for pc. it's more customizable so you get what you want for the price
  4. iPodTouchDev

iPodTouchDev New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Noooooo! Go for the MacBook! It only weighs about 4.5 lbs, and it works great! And the new aluminum unibody looks awweessoommmeeee

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. drkassassin

drkassassin New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    get a macbook..definitely lighter than most laptops in its class
    i always had problems with my two hp laptops..just something was wrong almost every time...my macbook= absolutely no problems
    and battery life definitely the macbook..i had an hp 12 cell battery..and my macbook still beat it without burning my lap every time i used it
  6. ELLDAWG

ELLDAWG Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    ermmmm i dont have a mac... but i would love to try one
    im sure you wont have any problems with it...
  7. SiXAXiS

SiXAXiS Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    if you are going for a mac, get the 17' macbook pro, it has the power, lightweight and 8 hour batt.

if not look for a HP i guess