yet another 1604 error...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by al1p, Apr 8, 2008.

1. al1p

al1p New Member

First, let me swear that I read the Apple instructions on 1604, I also tried all solutions I encountered in the hundreds of posts I read about this error.

Here is the situation :
    - My Ipod Touch (32GB) will not power on unless plugged in USB
    - When plugged in USB, I can only enter in recovery mode and try to recover from Itunes. This fails after "preparing ipod for recovery" : the ipod simply shuts down soon after the apple logo show up. The 1604 error is triggered a little while after the ipod shuts off...
    - I also manage to enter in DFU mode, Itunes recognizes the device (black screen on IpT) but restore fails too.

Having little to loose, I tried to pwned my 'brick' to be. After a "successful start", the process hangs too.

Trying from 2 different macs, reinstalling itunes, trying different ipsw have not improved my situation...

I have tried to connect using iphuc. However, I cannot find instructions on available commands in recovery mode... any command returns a segmentation fault....

I'll be grateful for any hint / help...

Al1
  2. al1p

al1p New Member

Some further info :

iPwner reboots the IpT, I get the loading sequence and the screen hangs (and dims) at "AppleMultitouch2SPI : enabled power, scheduled bootloading" then the screen remains dark for some time and the IpT shuts down...

- My context : Itunes 7.6.2 - Firmware 1.1.4 - MacOs 10.5.2
  3. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

Try cmd fsboot for iPhuc.
    I have no idea if that works, but it's worth a shot.
    Try the Common Answers link in my signature.
    That may help, but I have no idea.
  4. coolcosmos

coolcosmos New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I had that 3 times, the only way to get it work is to go to the apple store. Sorry.
  5. al1p

al1p New Member

cmd fsboot returned another "segmentation fault"... As to getting it back to the Apple store, I'm not sure they will like the pwnage part of my story ...

I've tried to sort out the posts of whether one can or cannot brick an Ipod Touch... but so far, mine is really starting to look like a brick...

My hope is to figure out how to get around with iphuc... Does anyone know a tutorial or at least a list of commands (available in recovery mode) that I could test ... I don't have much to loose at this point... Also, since the Ipod does spring to life (when connected to USB), I can't believe that it is beyond recovery... Maybe someone out there is good enough to help me out this.

Thanks !
  6. njt1

njt1 New Member

I had this problem with my iPhone, I opened another user account on my PC, downloaded itunes and then hooked the phone up with the USB and it worked - this is what apple support advised. Kr. nic
  7. al1p

al1p New Member

Thanks for the suggestions, but I have tried on a PC (and 2 different Macs), with new users and new itune...
    Unfortunately, whenever the restore procedure starts, it is interrupted when the ipod shuts down...

I'm still looking in the direction of iphuc, but I'm losing hope. Can it really be dead ? so young ! But it's still breathing.... doctor, can't you do something ?

Al1
  8. DJ Xander

DJ Xander New Member

I brought mine into the bathroom while I showered, and when I got out, the screen was full of condensation (which shouldn't have happened).

Now, mine just plainly won't turn on anymore after going through a loop where it would turn on and off, just showing the boot logo (PNWapple in my case). After restoring, I managed to bring it to the unlock screen, and then to the home screen, where the power off slider would appear, and without me sliding it, would continue the cycle.

Finally the booting cycle ceased, and I let it rest, hoping the water would evaporate, and that the next weekend I would go to the Apple store. Not so, it will no longer turn on with any button push, iTunes, iLiberty, etc.

I'm going to put a little alcohol on the headphone jack to reset the ph strip that senses water, so that Apple will not know of the water damage, and hope that they will exchange it. I'll make a nice fuss and see if I can upgrade to a 32GB

Please Register or Log in to view images

9. drequils11

drequils11 New Member

hey this just happened to me yesterday, i had used my ipod in the morning, and then i pulled it out of my backpack in the middle of the day and it said it had no battery power left. not thinking anything of it, i just assumed i left it playing or something.

but when i got home i tried to plug it in, it would have the apple logo boot screen, and then it would just power off. after eventually forcing it into recovery mode (it only powers on when plugged in to either the wall or usb), i was able to get itunes to see it, but the restore fails every time because the ipod turns off right as itunes is preparing the ipod for recovery.

ive tried 3 mac computers, and 3 pc computers, nothing has changed. the only positive side that i can see off this is that apple will not be able to see that i jailbroke it because it is just stuck in recovery mode... i just really dont want to drive all the way down to a store (its like an hour and a half away with traffic

Please Register or Log in to view images

)...

oh and one more thing, it turns off abruptly every time i unplug it, but the screen doesn't go completely black, the image lingers behind and eventually fades away.
  10. GrooveMachine

GrooveMachine Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Error 1604 is a pretty common error that isn't very well understood. As far as I know (BigBoss and I tried to figure it out one night), it means your MobileDevice Framework is corrupt with your iPod. The ONLY fix is to use another computer to restore, then go back to your computer that gave you the 1604 error. It's a computer-specific error, not iPod-specific. So, just restore on another computer, and let us know how it goes.