[Yale's] Ferrari GT Evolution Review

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by Yale, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Yale

Yale New Member

A few things to know before reading:
    -This is my first review in a long time, so it might not be perfect, but I put effort into it for others.
    -All photos were taken by me and uploaded through iPhoto.

Name: Ferrari GT Evolution
    Developer: Gameloft
    Release (US): December 9, 2008
    Price: $9.99

Fans of Gameloft's previous hit racer, Asphalt 4, will be happy to hear that their newest racer, Ferrari GT Evolution, has just hit the iTunes App Store for a fairly-expensive price of $9.99.

Naturally, Evolution runs on the same engine as Asphalt 4 on the iPhone with a few tweaks and patches made to the controls. The game features a few dozen licensed Ferrari vehicles and about a dozen fictional tracks based in cities from around the world, similar to Asphalt 4.

Features:
    Evolution features 33 licensed Ferrari vehicles including classics like the Dino and Enzo while also including new cars like the California and F430 Scuderia. The game could use a few more tracks since there are only 8 or so.

Please Register or Log in to view images

(Car Selection is Excellent)

There are options like Quick Race, Career and Multiplayer.

Quick Race allows you to compete in a circuit race, point race, time trial or even an elimination race.

Career involves racing in designated events which can be kept track of in the calender. All times are recorded in an advanced statistic system. Cars can be bought by earning credits, similar to Forza 2.

Multiplayer is currently local, but Gameloft has officially confirmed online play in the description on the app store. Hopefully it will be a lag-free experience.

Final: 9.5/10
    Evolution really packs a bunch of great features into the iPhone. Only gripe is the small amount of tracks which could possibly be fixed in an update.

Controls/Gameplay:
    Here's where people usually get iffy when talking about racers on the iPhone. Evolution does a nice job of catering to many different players by offering 3 different control methods and the option to turn on auto-acceleration. The first control option, the accelerometer, allows you to rotate the iPhone to turn you car. Sensitivity can be adjusted for this style. The second is a steering wheel (complete with Ferrari emblem) located on the lower left-hand corner of the screen which players can turn to control their Ferrari. The final method is tapping the screen on either the left or right side to turn the car in that direction.

(Racing Action)

Controls will most likely take a few hours to adjust to for new players, but if you've conquered Asphalt 4, then you'll catch on quickly.

Now, gameplay is fantastic. The races are high speed and intense with up to 7 other racers.

Final: 8.5/10
    Controls are not pinpoint perfect, but they are much better than the other racers on PSP.

Graphics:
    Considering Evolution is being released on the iPhone/iPod Touch, the details on the cars and buildings are very well-sculpted. You won't feel like you're driving through smeared buildings and boring landscapes like GTS World Racing. The game runs very smoothly and I haven't encountered any lag whatsoever during any type of race.

(More Racing Action)

Final: 9/10
    Gameloft has done an excellent job creating the graphics for this game. They were not rushed.

Layout/Menus:
    Menus are picture perfect, no jaggies and simple to navigate. What's more, every menu can be viewed in portrait or landscape mode! Buttons are the perfect size and are not distracting.

(Career Menu)

During a race, the speedometer is located towards the top right of the screen and the race info to the right. A small map is located on the left which helps on courses with many turns. Brake and clutch (optional and only visible if auto-accelerate is OFF) are located towards the bottom of the screen.

Final: 10/10
    No one should have any problem navigating menus and the layout during a race is very nicely polished.

Sound:
    Menus are paired with rock tunes which have no real impact on anything...it's just there. Music also plays during races but it might be distracting to some so there's an option to disable it. On a higher note, the engine chords sound amazing, just like their real-life counterparts.

Final: 8/10
    Music is nothing special, but the SFX are worth drooling over.

Overall:
    8.9/10
    A solid racer packed with excellent graphics, features and controls. A few gripes such as track selection and music could possibly be cured in an update.

A must buy for any car enthusiast!
  2. Brandon Shea

Brandon Shea New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Great review man , I might have to pick this game up tomorrow.
  3. andrewpiro

andrewpiro New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    installing it right now.
  4. Yale

Yale New Member

Thanks.

Just another fact: The screenshots posted don't due the game justice. They look much better when actually playing the game.
  5. matinsa2005

matinsa2005 Banned

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    i think the controls is 10/10 because there are 3 ways to control the car touching the screen or accl, or with the wheel i donnu why u gave it 8.5
  6. Functional Disorder

Functional Disorder New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Good job on the review
  7. kiancheong

kiancheong New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    great review! very well structured and written... thanks...
    am pondering if i should get this one before any other titles...

8. Functional Disorder

Functional Disorder New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    ^^^ make sure you have some money left over for Rolando...

9. Wats Doing Boyz

Wats Doing Boyz New Member

Yeah i reckon ay i can't wait

10. Simondude56

Simondude56 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Looks fun, but I think I'll pass. Fastlane is already plenty for me.