Yahoo (push) email as SMS alternative?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by emanuelme, Nov 28, 2008.

1. emanuelme

emanuelme New Member

2. gollyzila

gollyzila New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    but doesnt the iPhone NOT have push notification?
  3. MutherFOO

MutherFOO New Member

This how I send a SMS. But insted of yahoo I use goolge. The thing is does google have push email??
  4. emanuelme

emanuelme New Member

Google does not have push notification. Google uses the fetch notification which will update at a maximum or once every fifteen minutes unless done manually.

Push notification is available for yahoo mail. You can forward your email accounts to yahoo mail and you will receive your email right away.

If I understand correctly, the push notification that is missing is a cross-platform push notification for all programs that want to take advantage of it. For example, if AIM used push, when you get an IM you would be notified without having to have the program open. It will send a notice to the program and you can then open it up. I suspect apple has many reasons not to want push on the iphone / ipod because this would allow fring users to know when they recieve a phone call as well as aim users to know when they recieve a text. so why pay for 900 minutes and 20 for unlimited texts? pay 60 a year for unliimted incoming and outgoing skype and have a free aim account... voila you save yourself money...

in the interim though, try the yahoo... if you have an account, try it. if not, create one... i will mention that to test the push notification, you must be looged out of yahoo on your computer and if you are forwarding your mail and testing it, make sure you are not sending a test email from either the forwarded to or forwarded from account.
  5. eric8205

eric8205 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    yeah i set up the account and got it running but my emails are not getting "pushed" can anyone help Thanks

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. emanuelme

emanuelme New Member

Ok... so yahoo seems semi-temperamental... I found a better site with free email and almost instant push... mail2web.com

its completely free and works great, i have all my mail forwarded. I'm not sure why yahoo doesnt always work, perhaps they have servers that push in specific intervals...

If you look at macrumors.com, the front page has an article about possible 2.2.1 firmware update with complete push notification which would be incredible... we shall wait and see because even they question the validity of the source considering it hasnt been seeded to developers yet...

but yeah, check out mail2web.com... set up a free account... when you follow the steps, make sure "Use secure SSL" is unchecked otherwise it wont work... but since last night, ive tried twenty different options, and this is the best...
  7. eric8205

eric8205 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Yeah I heard that was good but when I tried it and put in my stuff for a new account it said something like "this account may not be able to send or recieve emails"