Yahoo! Mail Works: Confirmed

Discussion in 'iPhone Applications on iPod touch' started by andyandy6464, Oct 15, 2007.

1. andyandy6464

andyandy6464 New Member

After visiting http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/troubleshooting/

I figured out how to make yahoo! Mail work for you iPod touch. It must be jailbroken in order to have the mail app.

NOTE: In order to get Yahoo! Mail working you must be signed up for their PLUS account, otherwise you will not have POP3 Mail access

what you need to do to make yahoo mail work with the iPhone mail app is this:

1.) go to settings (or if you don't have an account setup, just go to the mail app)
    2.) don't touch the yahoo icon. Hit "other"
    3.) Select POP from the top 3 buttons
    4.) enter your name, email address (xxxx@yahoo.com) and your password
    5.) Enter the host name for the incoming mail server (for yahoo mail, it should be "pop.mail.yahoo.com ". Enter your user name (without the @yahoo.com) and then enter your password you use.
    6.)Enter the host name for the outgoing mail server. It should be "smtp.mail.yahoo.com "

That's it! Hit save, and it should work for you!

Now, some tricky things i realized for the mail app. sometimes attachements just won't open. I'm not sure why.
  2. iceman5008

iceman5008 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    so this tutorial is only if you have yahoo! plus mail account? there has to be another way, im not payin $20 to get mail that i can get for free on safari
  3. andyandy6464

andyandy6464 New Member

It's only $20 a YEAR, which is like 2 dollars a month. Not too bad. But yes, this is ONLY for PLUS subscribers.

I personally like Safari better than the mail app, because it's kind of buggy sometimes. And i've heard the same for iPhone users.
  4. nintendodude

nintendodude New Member

i think it is BS that crumby Yahoo charges for POP when Gmail, a far superiour providor IMO, gives it to you and many more features for free.

lol, like how you changed your tune about that 20$ a year, you were PISSED when I told you it was necessary to pay in IM.
  5. computer_geek_19

computer_geek_19 New Member

Gmail will be the way to go if you want to use the mail.app. I know I'll be using it

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. davefrank

davefrank New Member

Imap is the best solution. Gmail doesnt update read status on the server with pop3.

I thought this thread was about yahoos IMAP push mail.
  7. mlbspike

mlbspike New Member

Thanks.

Exactly what I needed.
  8. n3l619

n3l619 New Member

yahoo wants u to pay because if u can check ur mail without going ti thier web site they will loser viewers and then thier site value will go down. i can see why they want u to pay extra to do this. $20 is nothing am gonna go for it
  9. shyriu

shyriu New Member

hey guys ...
    yahoo does works with pop transfer and free ! NB: My address is @yahoo.FR not .COM
    i have it on my mac, cell-phone, ipod Touch.
    i just used the "other" in stead of yahoo when registering in my ipod touch.
    you also need to allow the pop transfert in your settings on your on-line-yahoo mail box , meaning :
    you have to go to mail.yahoo.com, get connected,
    then you click options
    in the center collumn : clik on acces & pop transfert
    and you should get a screen which will allow you to use pop transfert with your yahoo account and even to let it know whether or not you'd like qll the folders or just the inbox...

any issue, email or PM me through my profile !
  10. timothyjay2004

timothyjay2004 New Member

We don't have that option. If we want to have that option, we have to pay for it (at least in the US we do...). Our middle column doesn't give that option. Our right hand column does, but if you'd like to pay $19.95 a year for it...