Yahoo mail with new 1.1.3

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 1.1.3 Discussions' started by IceTerminal, Jan 21, 2008.

1. IceTerminal

IceTerminal New Member

I did a quick search and didn't find anything specific on this. So if I missed something please disregard.

With the new update to 1.1.3 and new apps, it says that the ipod touch can now get the mail.app. I haven't heard anything directly, but I was wondering if the new mail.app allows a direct connect to the yahoo email servers. And if so, what are those exact settings, such as server names, etc?

I have a jb 1.1.2 with the mail app but still cannot connect to yahoo direct, but can to gmail, my home email server, etc. But I'd like to connect to yahoo. I'm just not sure if the touch can do it with or without 1.1.3 apps.
    I've tried pop.mail.yahoo.com, mail.yahoo.com, imap.mail.yahoo.com but still can't connect.
    If 1.1.3 apps can connect, how are they doing it?

Thanks for your help.
  2. adcam

adcam New Member

I don't know about 1.1.3 but in the JB 1.1.2 you need to upgrade your yahoo account(pay some dough) for it to work in the mail app.
  3. yoyoyo

yoyoyo New Member

I'm not sure about this but I think you need to pay for premium yahoo mail to get POP access. But I also vaguely remember something from the 2007 keynote about push email from Yahoo.
  4. kappatango

kappatango New Member

I was testing this for someone earlier - I set up a Yahoo.com address, but it could not connect - said incorrect username/password. I could however connect on Webmail on a PC....

My ISP pop account works fine with mail.app though

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. IceTerminal

IceTerminal New Member

If I try the pop.mail.yahoo.com server I get the "the user name or password is incorrect".
    If I go into settings/mail and click on add account and then just click on Y!mail, then enter in my details I get the same error of incorrect user name or password for imap.mail.yahoo.com
    So I cannot use
    pop.mail.yahoo.com
    imap.mail.yahoo.com
    What is the mail.app in 1.1.3 using?
    And I know that you have to have a Plus account in yahoo to get it working without an Iphone. But with the new apps for 1.1.3 I thought they'd bypass that. Whats the point of giving email access with a new app if it won't work? So it seems they'd give the Touch yahoo email access. So I'm just wondering how.
  6. kappatango

kappatango New Member

You will probably find thats is not MAIL causing the problem, but YAHOO not allowing POP access. So, its not MAIL's fault, but Yahoo. Hotmail has the same restriction.

There is a workaround HERE .......
  7. IceTerminal

IceTerminal New Member

Right, I'm not blaming any one or any software. Just merely wondering how the new apps in 1.1.3 are able to connect to yahoo mail. And then to see if those settings would work on the mail app in the jb 1.1.2. Since they're both touches it might work. But I'm more apt to believe that yahoo is checking for some encrypted signature provided in 1.1.3 for verification.
  8. itouchmaster12345

itouchmaster12345 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I have yahoo email, but I haven't updated yet. But I have heard from many places that it works now with 1.1.3. I'm pretty sure that Apple made a deal with Yahoo. Because paying the $20 for the apps means you are essentially paying the same thing you would if you upgraded yahoo to get pop access.
  9. mossme89

mossme89 Member

Ok guys, I have 1.1.3 with the software upgrade. Yahoo mail DOES work. I have tried on several free mail accounts and all work
  10. Jodymitoma

Jodymitoma New Member

Yep, I don't see why it wouldn't work. Glad to hear it mossme89.