Xbox 360 slim motherboard leaked?

Discussion in 'Console & PC Gaming' started by qaiz, Mar 17, 2010.

1. qaiz

qaiz Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)

Please Register or Log in to view images

Well,it was bound to happen.
    Some Images appeared on Chinese tech forum A9VG last night showing what looks to be a trimmed down version of the Xbox 360 motherboard.

Is it real?

Well With the launch of Natal this fall, Microsoft has the perfect opportunity to re-launch the Xbox 360 brand with a all-new look to its console. The company also probably wants to get rid of the console's dreaded "three red lights" error as it looks to penetrate the casual market. There has also been loose talk from Microsoft executives before about a "new Xbox 360" coming in 2010.

The pictures below indicate that both the CPU and GPU processors have been combined into one chip, allowing for less heat to be generated and, of course, a nice cost reduction for Microsoft.

Microsoft, as usual, said it doesn't comment on rumors or speculation. If there is a Xbox 360 Slim in the works, you can probably guess we'll hear about it this summer, perhaps even at E3.

2. daconcerror

daconcerror Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    the heatsink is gonna be big on that one, and i shudder to think of the problems those 4 ram chips around it are going to cause. Also, i hope they have removed the x-clamps
  3. austers

austers Well-Known Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    It has already been confirmed to be nothing to do with the Xbox 360.
  4. mattym

mattym New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I saw this on Engadget earlier today. They have their doubts as do I. Why do i think its a fake, well a few things:

1) There are way too many open leads and jumper pins on this board. At best it may be a dev board for their new CPU/GPU combo, which has been rumored for a while now.

2) The layout of the external ports are all wrong. At the very least they suggest that if there is a HDD it wont be changeable and wont look the same as the current one.

If and when a refresh of the 360 comes out ill be interested to see how similar if at all the board is to these pics
  5. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    To return the one I just got now and wait for this or wait until its official and sell the one I have and get this? Hmmm...

If they add wifi and make it quieter then I want now. Smaller would just be a bonus. Also, get rid of that giant power brick... it's ridiculous.

The source of this leak is the same source that leaked the PS3 slim, so I'd say it's a pretty safe bet this is real.
  6. qaiz

qaiz Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    Yh I'm with all you guys,don't shoot the messenger

I too have my doubts,I don't think Microsoft needs to change the xbox. Many will say what about the rrod or the power brick (as depicted previously) and wifi as standard would be amazing for Xbox live.And the noise is a problem too,but the fact of the matter is, Microsoft are a software company,moreover they have a perfect strategy as it is.

Microsoft sell the Xbox at a loss,but make up on the extras that they sell.Making the Xbox smaller would render the HDD's useless thus losing MONEY. This is the same story for the wifi adapter and the power brick.

The Xbox also looks amazing as it is,and its not in any need for a smaller size or re-branding.Microsoft are in a perfect position,plus after the amount of Xbox final fantasy 13 consoles they have sold,i doubt they would change it all together.

But the other side of me believes they would do this to gain more sales(they don't necessarily need it)and with E3 and natal coming out,this maybe the perfect chance.

Remember the Xbox is said to have a lifetime until 2015,its a long time away and the Xbox is already losing its mojo.

I hope it doesn't come out tho,it'l make the Xbox look too desperate.The rrod is'nt as widespread as people think it is these days.All the Xbox's rroding are the old ones,some new ones too,but very rare,plus most people don't look after them.

They should just work on the next Xbox and more software titles.
  7. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Regardless of how well MS xbox strategy is working, putting the CPU and GPU on a single chip is more cost effective. Keeping the current price the same will increase MS profit margin and give them maneuverability price wise. A little ace up the sleeve if sales take a hit.

Slimmer xbox would just be a plus. Adding wifi, this that and the other thing, would just be nice. Thats just what I want, who knows if MS will actually do it.

With Natal and Move both fighting for the Wii's crown this holiday season, they all need to stay competitive. No matter how good a strategy works now, that could all change come this holiday. If MS can put an ace in the sleeve price wise, why not?
  8. locofocos

locofocos New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Wifi does seem like a good idea at first, but imagine trying to play any online multiplayer with EVERYBODY using wifi. Due to the high cost of the wifi adapters (there are alternatives, I know...) I have yet to try Xbox live over wifi, but I would imagine lag would be more noticeable. With no built in wifi, people have an incentive to use wired lan, being the cheaper option in most cases. If your xbox had wifi, would you want to buy some 20 dollar ethernet cable to play online?
  9. xFKSxSquirrel

xFKSxSquirrel Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    no i have one of the wifi adapters, and i dont have any lag.
  10. taptaptouch

taptaptouch Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I wasnt gonna spend 99 dollars just to get wifi, so now I have a 50 ft cable going down to my basement so I can play online, built in wifi would be great