X2 Football 2009 - SumDaii's Reviews (No. 2)

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by SumDaii, Jun 13, 2009.

1. SumDaii

SumDaii Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch

Please Register or Log in to view images

Introduction

X2 Football is a very high-quality and fun game, which, in my opinion, beats Real Soccer by a million miles. There are many great things about this game such as the graphics, the more realistic 3D Players, the better animations and many more features.

However, there is one thing which may not attract many of you, as this game doesn't have clubs. I know, terrible. However, according to toucharcade, and an interview with PocketGamer, the developers of this game said that to include clubs, you would have to buy licenses. So they would need to see how well this game would sell, then consider clubs.

I think that this game is amazing without clubs, but with clubs would just complete it - the finishing touch.

The Main Menu

As you can see in the animated GIF above, you are presented with a main menu with the following titles:

• Start Match - here you can easily begin a match by selecting two teams from any county (yes, including India!). None of your loses or winnings in the match will count towards any cup you are competing for.
    • Game Modes - Here you can play a tournament mode, penalty kicks and free training. To choose your Tournament, you can just scroll the maps on the left up and down and select your country who you want to play as. I find this very easy to choose, and simple. Penalty Kicks are just simply you practicing saving and shooting Penalty Kicks. Free Training is simply playing with your team, passing around and shooting.

• [*]Options -
      Like you would expect, here you can change the settings for the game matches, see what the controls are, your trophy room and credits to the developers of this truly wonderful game.

Controls

I won't spend time explaining the controls, as the above GIF does so. However, i will review them. The controls are very easy to remember, but if you are changing from Real Soccer/Real Football to X2 Football, then you may struggle. I was one like that, but i got used to these easy controls in a matter of days.

Unlike Real Soccer/Football, you don't have to swipe up to lob pass or lob the goalkeeper, as there is already a control for that. This prevents your finger form getting in the way of your game.

Each pass when attacking has it's own control - through pass, normal pass, and shoot.

For defending, each control also has it's own control, for example to do a normal tackle, you hold the bottom control. You can also slide tackle and put pressure on your opponent.

Game Play - Now this is it.

Overview of Game Play​

The game play is truly spectacular. It feels like FIFA for iPhone. The AI (artificial intelligence) is very realistic. The goal keeper comes out of the goal to actually save the ball, the players have reactions after a move they make, and every setting looks as if you were actually there.

The grass has got so much detail, the payer's faces, hair and names on their shirts are crystal clear.

Free Kicks, Corners and Throw-Ins​

Free Kick -
    Like all football games (for me) it is very rare that you get to take a free kick, but the other team gets one all the time. I finally got one (like in the above GIF) and when you take a free kick, the camera is behind the player.

You can turn the camera to where you're going to pass or shoot, then you hit any of the two buttons available in the bottom right hand corner. The player then animates, by moving backwards and kicking the ball as if in real life.

Corner Kicks -
    With Corner Kicks, the camera is also placed behind the player who is going to take the corner kick. The same controls are used for free kicks. Once the corner has been taken, you have to move your player into the box (or to the ball) and press the shoot function in order for you player to either volley the ball or header it.

Throw-Ins -
    To take a throw-in, you press pass after you have chosen which way to throw the ball with the joystick. I find this very frustrating as when you take a throw-on, your players are always far apart or out of the viewable area, so you have to guess where they are (or look at the map at the top right hand corner).

Extra Stuff

Animations/Celebrations​

The animations are as if you were watching an actual football match. Once you have scored a goal, won a corner, fouled someone, whatever the matter - there are loads of animations to show you what happened. From over 7 different camera views when replaying the foul back to you, this game really beats all in animating.

The celebrations include players punching into the air and shouting out to the audience, sliding on the floor and just waving to the audience.

When you get a red card or yellow, the player has different reactions such as bowing down, or even nodding his head and walking away.

At the end of the match (and beginning) the whole team either runs out onto the pitch, or walks in depressed, whether you won or lost the match.

instant Replay

The Instant Replay feature is very well layed out, and has many more functions that Real Football/Soccer 09. This instant replay allows you to see the view of all the player's views, including the goalkeeper.

In this instant replay screen you can also switch to a view back to the football. You can rotate around the ball with one finger, swiping up, down, or side to side. I believe that this instant replay has a much longer time that RS.

Mini-Review

Graphics: 9/10 - absolutely great graphics, but you can always do better.

Game Play: 10/10 - gives you a true football experience.

Features: 10/10 - couldn't ask for more.

Content: 7/10 - clubs would make this game all the more perfect.

Controls: 9/10 - a control for every function, genius.

Overall: 9/10
    The Best Soccer/Football Game Out There!

Attached Files:

2. murphmanny

murphmanny Banned

Very nice review. Very easy to read with short paragraphs and colours.

I also like the .gif's, as they give a lot of screenshots of the game.

Keep it up.
  3. SumDaii

SumDaii Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    thanks...

I'm planning on only doing sports games.

might not... depends.
  4. deleted account 92

deleted account 92 Active Member

This is a great review. I like the animated images a lot.

You should be a member reviewer.
  5. SumDaii

SumDaii Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    thanks..

if i were i promise i would write a lot of game reviews (mainly sports ones)

*waits for a mod to read this*
  6. -tcq42-

-tcq42- Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Very nice review. How does this stack-up against Real Soccer?
  7. SumDaii

SumDaii Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    well... my review (throughout) says that this beats real soccer by a million and one miles.
  8. hy565

hy565 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    too bad this doesn't come with wifi multiplayer, unlike real soccer 09
  9. SumDaii

SumDaii Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    yeah.. true but not many actually use that function.

Online - many people would.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    JUST ADDED NEW END RATING

(New 5 STARS)
  10. iPod Touch™

iPod Touch™ Banned

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    add a thumbnail.