X-plaine in the App Store!

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Games & Apps' started by MicroByte, Sep 12, 2008.

1. MicroByte

MicroByte New Member

2. MrBrightside

MrBrightside Active Member

Hmm, dont think it will be that good. Says it changes time of day etc but graphics wont be amazing enough for you to go WOW.
  3. cainy

cainy New Member

WOW thats awesome, x-plane has always beat MS flight sim in my mind, will have to give it a go
  4. MicroByte

MicroByte New Member

I don't know, if the graphics they have on the iTunes page are from the game, they made me go WOW!

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. batman27returns

batman27returns Banned

looks pretty good to me, i've tried this flight simulator on my iMac and it's good. The graphics don't look too bad.
  6. diegohuyke

diegohuyke New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    the graphics aren't tht bad ( it's an ipod, not an playstation 3 with blu-ray )...

anyways I think I'd rather spend my money in another app
  7. bjornkeizers

bjornkeizers New Member

Device:
    iPad
    I bought it. Being a huge Flight Simulator fan, I couldn't resist. I've played every FS version from FSFW95 up to FSX. So, down to business.

Overall, I'm impressed. The graphics are decent for what it is. The terrain textures are blurry up close, but look good in flight. There are some nice dawn/dusk effects as well as clouds and haze. Your plane features animated props, flaps and gear. There are blinking position lights, which definitely helps in darker settings. Nice touches like planes bumping or dipping on the runway add to the feel.

There are four planes present in the sim -- Cirrus Vision, Piaggio Avanti, and the venerable Cessna 172.

All share the same 'c*ckpit'; basically a military style heads-up display with a digital compass. Unfortunately, there's no instrument panel. No radios, no autopilot -- just the plain HUD. There are additional outside views that show off your plane. Even a fly-by camera! Pretty neat.

Your plane is controlled by tilt steering. Tilt left to bank left, right to bank right, forward to drop the nose and back to climb. The throttle is controlled with a slider on the left, flaps are controlled by a slider on the right. That one doesn't seem to display degrees though... lets you set it anywhere you want. Brake and gear are two soft buttons at the bottom of the screen. This setup works reasonably well. Even my non-FS'ing brother managed to figure it out. The entire affair runs pretty smoothly, but the planes themselves feel a bit... sluggish and floaty. The Cessna handles more like a Learjet....

There's a decent amount of terrain to explore. According to the blurb on their website, it's the Austrian demo area from XP9. Sure, i guess. There's the odd jaggy mountain and an airport, but other then that...

The options are limited compared to any 'full' simulator, but seeing as how this is an iPod -- I'm not complaining. The settings & options are accessed via the top row of buttons, far right button.

The first screen is flights. There are quick flights to allow practice takeoffs, landings, and buttons for totally random flights. 'Volume' controls the engine noise. You can play your own music over it.

Next panel is time. You can switch between dawn, day, dusk and night.

Third one is 'wind', which allows you to set speed, direction and turbulence. This is followed by the clouds settings. You can adjust the cloud type, base and overall visibility.

The next settings screen allows you to pick a plane. Unfortunately, you can't switch during flights. If you do, it resets you to the runway. Lastly is weight and center of gravity.

That's pretty much all there is to it. If you're looking for a 'game', this one isn't it. No goals, very little in the way of explanation or tutorials... It really is more of a tech demo. Definitely a cool way to show off iPhone/iPod capability. I wouldn't really recommend it to anyone other then Flight Sim fans at this early stage. However, if they come up with some instrument views and a few more planes.... it might be worth a general recommendation for plane nuts.

Hope this helps.
  8. mrkatou

mrkatou Banned

Wow, that looks awesome.
  9. Dave C

Dave C New Member

I can't believe it's only 6.2mb!!

Did anyone else notice it's version 9.00?

10. yankees101

yankees101 Banned

i just got it!! its amazing. graphics are really good and evrything is perfect