WTF iPad Camera Connection Kit messes up your iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by NitroBum, Jul 22, 2010.

1. NitroBum

NitroBum Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    So today I got my backordered Camera Connection Kit for my iPad and plugged it in with my phone's micro SD card right away to see it work. Well, the first thing that came up was a pop-up telling me that the USB accessory was unsupported. The iPad Camera Connection Kit isn't supported by the iPad. This was my first big WTF. But wait; it gets better.

After disconnecting and reconnecting several times only to get the same incompatibility message every time, I connected the iPad to my computer for a quick sync. During the sync, my iPad suddenly rebooted. Then it came back and started syncing again. And then guess what: It rebooted. Fantastic. It went throught this reboot / partial sync / reboot / partial sync / reboot pattern for a while before I disconnected it and left to work.

When I got back, I picked up my iPad to reproduce the incompatibility so I could take a picture. This is the best part. As I'm about to plug in the adapter (so it's obviously not plugged into the computer anymore) the iPad reboots.

So thanks to an Apple branded, iPad certified accessory, my iPad has now become a useless auto-rebooting annoyance. Thanks to this, my iPad is now restoring to 3.2.1. This is just a fair warning to iPad users out there who haven't yet used this accessory. It doesn't happen to everybody, but it happened to me.
    ------------------double post merged------------------

Please Register or Log in to view images

Here's a screenshot to show the not supported dialog. I just finished restoring and it still doesn't work. I tried with both the SD reader and the USB reader. Neither is compatible.

EDIT: The above screenshot was taken after the restore, on firmware 3.2.1. Different firmware, not jailbroken, still has the same problem.
  2. Ari.

Ari. Active Member

Device:
    iPad
    Go to apple store if possible and snow them, see if they can replace the connection kit, yours could be faulty
  3. NitroBum

NitroBum Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    That's what I was thinking, but it seems really strange to have both of them be faulty.
  4. Tkf1

Tkf1 Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    iPad mini
    Well you jailbroken.

Don't blame it on the Kit it could be the jailbreak.
  5. NitroBum

NitroBum Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    I haven't installed anything new for about a month, so that's not likely. Also, you might have noticed that the post says I restored to 3.2.1, so I'm obviously not jailbroken anymore, and yet the problem persists.
  6. Tkf1

Tkf1 Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    iPad mini
    Fine. Get a replacement then.
  7. NitroBum

NitroBum Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    I plan on it, but it seems unlikely that both would be faulty. Anyone else have any experience with this accessory?
  8. Ari.

Ari. Active Member

Device:
    iPad
    Nah, im still waiting to buy, just using a bluetooth app for my phone to transfer.

Do you know anyone that owns an iPad that you can test your connection kit with, to see if its a problem with just your device or others as well.

Not sure what else I can suggest seeing as i have not much knowledge on this.
  9. nasra1n

nasra1n New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Try getting a replacement iPad. Test the accessories on another iPad first and then if they work, take your iPad back and demand a replacement.
  10. NitroBum

NitroBum Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    I would like to try it on another, but the only iPads that I know of are my own and those at the Apple Store 35 miles away. I probably will eventually though.