Writing Recognition?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by CyberPrime, Nov 8, 2007.

1. CyberPrime

CyberPrime New Member

Hey, I have an idea (if it hasn't already been done).

How about writing recognition? So many other PDAs have it, where you just write a letter and it translates it into a letter. We could use sketch's sketching program and just add an option to (when the keyboard comes up, instead of typing) just write!

It seems to make sense to me, I just can't see why nobody has tried it!

What do you guys think?
  2. kinematic@yahoo.com

kinematic@yahoo.com New Member

Great idea, but if you every tried drawing with sketch, it's pretty tricky at times. Drawing letters with your finger tip is not the most ideal writing impliment. There's only so much screen room. If someone could develop a stylus that works with the iPod Touch screen then I could see this as being more feasable.
  3. Rawd

Rawd New Member

stylus for iphone/iTouch........

http://www.iphonefreak.com/2007/10/accessories-iph.html
  4. kinematic@yahoo.com

kinematic@yahoo.com New Member

Nice find, but reading through the comments, they all confirmed what I discovered as well (also the idea of using metal on my glass surface kind of eeks me out). It's not just a stylus that's needed, but a hack to change how much of the screen needs to be active before it acts as described on the diagram here: http://electronic.howstuffworks.com/ipod-touch3.htm

if you take a metal spoon you can make it work, but if you try to use a smaller point it doesn't work.

So to make a decent stylus work it needs to have a hack to make the size smaller. This in turn will allow you to then create a decent handwritting recognition package.
  5. CyberPrime

CyberPrime New Member

I have drawn on sketch, and yes it is a bit trick, a stylus is easier, but if your just drawing one letter at a time I see no need for a stylus. Also, upping the rate that the sketch program detects where the finger is would be nice, making it more curved and less angley.
  6. CyberPrime

CyberPrime New Member

... uh bump, I think this has some potential and this is something I would like.
  7. lachlan438

lachlan438 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Mad i have never seen stylus for the ipod touch before.
    don't think i would use it but unless there was writing recognition came out still man i hope some one attempts this because it would be so cool