Writing away from Wifi Coverage

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Scribbler1382, May 31, 2008.

1. Scribbler1382

Scribbler1382 New Member

Hey, guys. When I'm on the commuter train to work, I obviously don't have any wifi signal, but I want to use the time to write (almost 2 hours a day!!). I also want to be able to get the text written OUT of the ipod touch (i.e. not the Notes app).

What I've been doing is just composing an email to "me" in my Gmail account in the Email App and then sending it when I get home at night. My questions are:

Is this the best way to do this?

Are there any apps that can be used for this that support Landscape keyboard layout?

Thanks for any ideas/thoughts on this.

-- Scrib
  2. dualcorex

dualcorex New Member

email is the best way to get it out. my opinion
  3. berky93

berky93 New Member

email is a great way to do it, or use the textedit application then get it out via ssh
  4. wearmaize

wearmaize Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    There is an app called iPhonebrowser which will do that for you.

It might be Mac only though.
  5. Scribbler1382

Scribbler1382 New Member

Hey, all. I think I found a solution that gives me a landscape keyboard away from my wifi connection. While still on my wifi signal at home, I open up Safari and browse to my Gmail account. I start to compose a message to myself and then I turn off my wifi. Now I can open up Safari all day (which is still displaying the message I started composing) and add to the message using the landscape keyboard. When I get home, I turn my wifi back on, switch back to Safari and send the email.

In my limited tests, it's worked great. I still want to do a few more days testing with data I don't mind losing before I really start to trust this approach, though.

What would make this all simpler (aside from having the ability to use landscape mode in any app) would be if I could select all, copy and paste from Safari to, say, Textedit. How the heck did that feature get left out?!