Writing and uploading notes on the ipod touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by serenityFan, Aug 24, 2008.

1. serenityFan

serenityFan New Member

Hi, I am thinking of getting the ipod touch, however before I get one, I was hoping someone here can help out and tell me whether this will work:

I am thinking of typing notes (like blog entries for example) on the ipod touch while on the go and save them on the ipod because I won't have internet connection. Once I get home, I want to connect to my home wireless connection and upload my saved notes to the internet.

Option 1: Upload from ipod. Is it correct that since the ipod touch doesn't support copy and paste, I can't get to my saved notes from safari?

Option 2: Upload from home PC (running win XP). Is there a way to access my saved notes from PC? Sync via Itunes maybe?

Thanks,

Andy
  2. Gitykins

Gitykins Banned

FYI, you WILL need to jailbreak to do all those things.

.txt, .doc. .rtf, etc files cannot be synced through iTunes, they must be put on the filesystem through SSH, and you need to jailbreak for SSH.

Also, the "Notes" application does not support readable text either, so you will need a Text Editor from the jailbreaking side to open these files and write in them.
  3. Jordan

Jordan New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I think if you buy Evernote you can do this.

Evernote is worth it.

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. serenityFan

serenityFan New Member

I was hoping this can be done without jailbreak, but if it can't then I am open to attempt jailbreak.

What if I create a new email message to myself, will it be saved like in an out-folder until i connect to wi-fi? And to follow up, is the email app in ipod touch just like a normal email client which can send via smtp and receive via POP?

I also checked evernote, in the review section of the evernote page on itunes, one of the users said that evernote doesn't have an offline, which I assume means you cannot view or create new notes while offline. However since the people behind evernote are still developping it, I will keep an eye on evernote since it does sounds like exactly what I need if they put in an offline mode.

Thanks for the replies .....

5. MrCrawley

MrCrawley New Member

simpy get Lifecast, you actually can write entries directly to your blog, and you decide when to send, (you can write and then send)
  6. serenityFan

serenityFan New Member

It lets you write while being offline and send later? I'll get this as soon as I get my ipod. This is awesome, you're a legend!

7. ElTres

ElTres New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    No, you are wrong. For example MobileFinder can edit .txt files (and read .doc, .pdf, .rtf), and you can use ftp to put/get files on/from your iPod. For blogs there are a couple of Apps out there, I use Shouzu which allows offline creating blog entries.

However, I would still recommend JB.

8. serenityFan

serenityFan New Member

Can you ftp files on/from the ipod without jailbreak? I thought that is impossible.

Anyway, mobileFinder is a great tip, thanks. I can't find Shouzu though, any hints?

9. MrCrawley

MrCrawley New Member

Mobile Finder won't let you see root, *cough* terminal *cough in Factory State.
    also Lifecast do lets you write blog entries and later upload'em
    Also every file you transfer from and to your iPot in appstore is by ftp
    im glad to help, if you got any problem Pm me, i will gladly help you
  10. jgl1115

jgl1115 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    you can send note from your ipod to your email address.