Write apps?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Alucard94, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Alucard94

Alucard94 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I have tried searching, didn't find anything, and google is just being a b*tch to me at the moment so this is my only choice left.
    I have looked seemingly everywhere but I just can't find the answer, what programming language do you use to write apps for the jailbroken iphone/touch and are there any guides?
    Sorry for being such a geekish noob at this stuff but just looking for help, and no I'm not one of those people who thinks that you can just click a button and you will make a completely native app, I know this is hard work and I want to learn it.
    So anyone? Oh and by the way I have no idea if this is the right forum for this thread but it kinda made sense because this is kind of a techy question, so yeah...
  2. curlbigtimeballn

curlbigtimeballn New Member

Go to Jiggyapp.com and install Jiggy Runtime and Jiggy from Installer. The Site has a guide on how to do it. It is done in JavaScript.
  3. Alucard94

Alucard94 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thanks, checking it out now
  4. bddckr

bddckr Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Search on Google:
    "iPhone SDK"

This is the official way to program apps for the iPhone/iPod Touch.
    To program you will use "Onjective C" as the language.
    On Apple's Developer Site are many tutorials, guides, sample code pages etc.
  5. Alucard94

Alucard94 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I have the SDK, but as the appstore is going to be pretty limited, and will probably not let apps like customize into it and that is why I will make it for the jailbreak community, when the appstore is officially out I am probably going to carry over to that but not yet...
  6. thesmidge

thesmidge New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    You're not gonna be able to use jiggy for the SDK. Apple's coding language is called Objective-C. You got a long way to go. And I'm almost certain they will allow customization, what's an SDK without it?
  7. Alucard94

Alucard94 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Well... you gotta realize, this is apple

Please Register or Log in to view images

As much as I like their products I have to say, they really like their logo a lot lol

But they probably going to let some amount of customization but not as much as you can do now. But that is just what I think will happen.

And yeah I might have a go at the SDK
  8. gojohnnyboi

gojohnnyboi Well-Known Member

The "hard" way is to write application using Apple's Objective-C. This is what MOST hardcore applications are written with, and more primarily the SDK. The drag and drop feature is an extremelyl insane function of the SDK and has made it probably the most popuplar developing way....however, for WINDOWS, developing is more limited. SDK is only for mac, and for windows you must build the cygwin binary toolchain. if you wish to take the easy route for developing, i suggest using Jiggy, and Jiggy's IDE. This is how i'm learning ot develop and they're constantly adding javascript functions that are almost completely the same as objective-c. I STRONGLY recommend this for beginning
  9. Alucard94

Alucard94 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    As I have the apple SDK I am probably going to use that, I have some good ideas for some apps, just need to learn the programs and Objective-C then, heh, lucky I have a break next week

10. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Jiggy is for chumps. I can seriously envision many, many bugs coming out of it due to the simple nature of it: converting JavaScript to Objective-C.

If you want more control of your code, more control of your app, and the stableness that comes with programming for the iPhone in the language it was designed to use, then Objective-C is the language to use.

I'd recommend searching over at code.google.com for source code. There is more than enough iPhone specific Objective-C source code there to keep you busy for a while.

Also, I posted some Source Code for a very simple app over in the Developer's Subforum. Look for the source for Bluetooth.app. It compiles easier than the current Hello World that was created by the iPhone Dev Team.