Wow, I didn't know it's THAT complicated...

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X Jailbreak' started by nivlet, Aug 25, 2008.

1. nivlet

nivlet New Member

Hey guys, I'm new around here,
    I'm a big iPod fan and I just bought my iPod touch 32GB 3 days ago!
    So well, I've noticed there's an upgrade that costs 10$ in order to get it to 2.0 - after googeling a while I managed to hack it myself, and do the thing you guys call "Jailbreak".

So yeah, I'm a total noob, I'm confused, and I need lots of questions to be answered! (don't redirect me to tutorials please, I've spent hours now trying to figure out things and still didn't get it)

Alright, I did jailbreak, I do have the "Installer" and the "Cydia", and the current version is 2.0.2.
    But...:

1. What is SSH?
    2. How can I get great games and skins like most people in youtube has?

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. How come my keyboard is typing so slow when I'm looking for sources in the "Installer" mod?

Thanks in advance, I'm almost sure this topic will continue even after these questions will be answered.

Oh, last thing, please be specific...!
  2. ryanlusk

ryanlusk Banned

SSH is when you view/edit/add/delete or anything really to the iPod's program files. If you get that.
    You need a FTP Client , Cyberduck if your on a mac , and WinSCP if you're on a PC.

And to get the games/themes you download those through Installer/Cydia.
    You can add sources to get more options on games or whatever you want to download.

And I'm not sure about your keyboard.

Hope I helped.
  3. X P H A Z E S

X P H A Z E S New Member

U asked so many questions but I'll try to answer all of them.
    1. SSH is a way to copy filesfrom it computer to ur iPod.
    2. In order to get themes and games go into cydia or installer (I recomend cydia since ur new) and just go under games and themes. Also search for customize and winterboard and make sure u restart ur iPod after installing winterboard. Winterboard is where u apply full themes and customize is where u edit system strings and other things. I recomend the deep theme and the buuf2 theme for winterboard. Once u download them go into winterboard to apply them.
    3. I have no idea why ur keyboard is typing slow.
  4. andydam123

andydam123 Member

Installer has problems. They chose looks over ability, so it always trys and loads pictures, etc. Thats why it lags.
  5. nivlet

nivlet New Member

Wow, thanks a lot folks, made things much clearer...
    Another question:
    That WinSCP thingie, could you send me a specific tutorial of how to use it through the iPod?
    Oh, and how do I reset the iPod exactly?

6. X P H A Z E S

X P H A Z E S New Member

in order to use winscp go into settings/wifi and tap the blue arrow and type in ur ip adress as ur server and ur password is alpine and ur username is root. Set the port to 22 then press connect. If it doesn't work the first time that's normal just keep trying.
  7. nivlet

nivlet New Member

Alright, thanks, I'll try that out!

By the way, I downloaded something called "NES" probably an emulator, I heard it's pretty popular... How does it work?

Oh and still.. How do I reset my iPod?

8. Gitykins

Gitykins Banned

If you mean Reboot, then just hold both the home and power buttons together until the boot logo pops up.

For the NES Emulator, once you get set up with WnSCP and get connected, navigate to /var/mobile/Media, and look for a folder called "ROMs". Open that folder, and then there should be another one called "NES" (If none of these folders are here, you'll need to create them. Trust me, it's not as complicated as it sounds once you get in there with WinSCP

). You'll need to find ROMs for NES on your computer, and then transfer them to that folder through WinSCP after they're downloaded to your computer.

Then, just open NES on your iPod and play them! If you have any questions about ROMS or the complicated folder thingys, just PM me or post here

9. X P H A Z E S

X P H A Z E S New Member

NES is an emulator. In order to add games go to var/mobile/media and add a folder called ROMs capitolized just like that. Then inside that folder add a folder called NES. Once u do that just gets any games u want. I won't provide links cause it's illegal to pirate nes ROMs but just google NES Roms. Trust me the first link called the old computer sucks if u know what I mean

. As far as reseting ur ipod just click restore in iTunes but why would u want to do that.
  10. Paintball

Paintball New Member

You use SSH to transfer ROMs over to your ipod and play them that way.

But to reset ur ipod, do u mean turn it off?
    If yes, then hold the top button until it asks you to slide to power off. Or hold both the home and hold buttons for a few seconds.

If you mean reset as in get rid of the jailbreak, you go into iTunes and click "Restore".