Would you agree that I should return my ipod for a new one? Help quick im about to go

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by CaliScreamin, Jan 16, 2008.

1. CaliScreamin

CaliScreamin New Member

Ok, so my ipod touch, whenever i plug it in, it said something like

"This ipod cannot be used because the Apple Mobile Service Device is not started"

something like that. I did everything people told me, and none of those helped. I forced restored my ipod too to clear off that I jailbreaked it and everything, so now when you turn it on, it just shows the cord with the iTunes logo. Im leaving soon to go return it for a new one. If i can. Cause my parents were saying that I cannot return it for a new one. But cant you. Or just like you can return it for your money back, then just use the money to buy a new one? Please respond quick because Im leaving in a couple of minutes!!!
  2. UncleChuckle

UncleChuckle New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Sounds like something to do with the iTunes install to me rather than the iPod.

In Windows (assuming you're running XP), go to Start, hit run, and type services.msc and hit enter. That lists the services running on your PC. Apple Mobile should be near the top. If it's not started, right click on it and do so. If it IS started, I'd suggest a complete uninstall then reinstall of iTunes.

I am by no means an expert though. But that error message you get is most definitely XP, not the iPod.
  3. CaliScreamin

CaliScreamin New Member

so i took it in, and the guy upgraded it for free. To make it 1.1.3 with the extra 5 apps. yay! and he said that it's iTunes and that I should plug it into the back of the computer because the front USB ports are less stronger. So I think it's fixed now, but I wont fully know untill tomorrow.
  4. pablowx

pablowx New Member

i might need to do this.... did u just go to the apple store or something?
  5. CaliScreamin

CaliScreamin New Member

the last post i posted in this thread was about 10 minutes i walked into the door from coming back from the apple store.

All i did was go up to the Genius desk. something like that and said

"hello, ive had music and videos and stuff before on my ipod but recently when i went to go sync it, it said 'this ipod cannot be used because the apple service moblie device isnt started' and then he took the ipod and plugged it into the laptop on the desk, and waited for like a couple minutes cause he was upgrading mine to 1.1.3 along with the 5 extra apps, and then he said it works fine on his computer and then he asked me if i wanted a test music and i said yes (dont know why) and then he synced it and then i was done. i walked out the store like 20 sec. later.