Would This Work?

Discussion in 'Application Ideas' started by skiier239, Oct 20, 2008.

1. skiier239

skiier239 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Would This Work? (Change Safari .com options)

You guys in the USA and UK probably wouldnt see the point in this, but, i'm sure many in others in English speaking countries would find this very useful.

The idea is that instead of typing in ".co.nz" or ".com.au" etc every time you want to visit a local website you just hold down the ".com" button and it gives you options for your own URL endings instead of ".org" ".net" ".com" etc. If you customize the keyboard in the Settings app you can change it to things like ".co.uk" or ".co.jp" BUT there is no option to change it to a user defined ending. This app would probably have a interface sort of like Make It Mine by Erica Sadun.

Could anyone please let me know if this is possible or not and if they would be willing ot help make it as I have little coding experience. Thanks in advance.
    Below I have included a quick mock-up of how the app could look.

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. giannaros

giannaros New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I thought of that too... and it is a great idea. I beleive it is possible, because I installed a greek keyboard, and it gives me the option to put .gr!
  3. skiier239

skiier239 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)

Awesome, that sounds quite promising. Can you please tell me where you got the greek keyboard from?
  4. giannaros

giannaros New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
  5. ipNinja

ipNinja New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    I like this idea!
  6. skiier239

skiier239 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)

So can anyone help create this app? If you think you could, have a look below at the list of jobs people would need to do to get it done and see if any of them would suit you.

- Graphics (Loading Screen and Icon(Default.png & Icon.png)

- Figuring out a way to apply the input text from the text areas on the app to the keyboard files (By keyboard files I mean the ones that control the appearance of the buttons and the file that controls the text (.co.nz,.com.au etc) that gets put onto the URL field in Safari).

- Main coding of the app. I could probably do a bit of this myself but it wouldn't be the best way of doing it as I am still getting my head around all this Obj C stuff.

By the way anyone that contributes anything in the slightest will be mentioned in the About section of the app

I have just made two more mock-up pics of the app. I hope this makes things clearer (BTW the second pic is what would be the result of pressing "Apply" on the app.

PS: Do you guys think that I should move this to Toolchain and SDK Development yet?
  7. Totally 1337

Totally 1337 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    dude this app is ACTUALLY a good idea.
  8. Alpha911

Alpha911 New Member

Device:
    iPad
    word....and please don't forget your german friends

......(.de)