iPhone 4 Would an iPhone 4 be worth it for me?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by EviLCorsaiR, Oct 2, 2010.

1. EviLCorsaiR

EviLCorsaiR New Member

Device:
    iPad
    I don't want a generic answer saying 'it depends what you'd use it for'. If possible, I'd like current iPhone 4 users to read my post, and tell me if they think I'd get the use out of it.

Basically, right now, I'm using my 16GB iPad. Come this Christmas, I plan on buying a smartphone of some sort, for a more portable device that I can take anywhere. Sure, the iPad is useful at home, at school, and over long travel, but it's impractical for me to take it out anywhere else.

Seeming as it's widely disputed to be the best smartphone on the market (for the average user at least) I've been strongly considering the iPhone 4. As it'll be a contract free and unlocked one however, it'll set me back £499 (that's $789 to Americans). And that's a hell of a lot of money for me to pay out. (At least Apple themselves offer it unlocked in the UK...it'd cost a hell of a lot more if they didn't)

Before I got my iPad, I'd use my iPod Touch everywhere I went (I still do, in fact, where the iPad is impractical).

It's just that cost that's the main issue for me. I realise it's an excellent phone and mobile device, but I'm wondering if that justifies the cost for me, particularly as I already have an iPad.

The other phone I've been considering (much more 'budget' than the iPhone) is the HTC Wildfire, pretty much because it's less than half the cost of the iPhone and still a good smartphone.

Thanks to anyone who read through my looooong post, and can give an opinion.
  2. chort27

chort27 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    You're gonna get a lot of "its worth its" considering this is an iphone forum.

The iPhone 4 is not the best smartphone on the market right now in terms of specs. You can easily find a phone that will outspec the iphone for a better price. (I recommend taking a look at some of the HTC phones)

On the other hand, I find the iPhone to be the most user friendly smartphone. I like the look of it the best, and especially if you are used to the feel of the iPad and iPod touch, you will definitely feel very comfortable with an iPhone 4.

I have had my iPhone 4 for about a month now, and I absolutely love it. Theres never a time when I say "I wish my phone could do THIS.." .. because the iPhone has all the features I need.

Ultimately, we can't make the decision for you. If you're looking for the best phone you can get for your money, buying an unlocked iPhone 4 probably isn't the way to go (because it's expensive as hell). On the other hand, the iPhone is a great phone that you will know how to use to it's full extent and is very user friendly and sleek.
  3. b777forever

b777forever Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone
    I personally love my iPhone. It may not be the most powerful smartphone out there, but it gets the job done for me. And getting it unlocked will be worth it. You don't need to wait for a unlock, and the resale value is very high. But then again, you have a iPod touch, you could just do a Android OS phone + touch combo as a lot of people do, but then again, it's all up to you.
  4. padfoot07

padfoot07 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I am really happy with my iPhone, but i would only advise someone to get it if they found a suitable plan. For example, i pay $29 a month for credit, data and some other bonuses, while the phone itself is only another $18 a month (AU).
    So, for me, this works out well, as i spend the $29 anyway, and the extra $18 gets me a pretty good phone.
  5. grimmster

grimmster Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I had a 5 year old phone and also had an iPod touch (2g) and we have an iPad. I needed a new phone also, and was getting tired of dragging around a phone and ipod all the time, so I sold my iPod and got the iPhone 4. Now since mine was not unlocked, my only 'fee' is to be locked to AT&T for two years, so my phone was $150 US, but had I have to pay upwords of $700, then no, at that point the phone would NOT have been worth it to me. I would have kept my touch and gotten a cheaper smartphone if available.
  6. tech3475

tech3475 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    For features, hardware, etc. I would have preferred an Android (Galaxy S, etc.).

However, what made me get the iphone 4 was:
    1. Jailbreaking
    2. More game apps
    3. The various issues with Android e.g. time for updates, etc.
    4. Various little things e.g. it felt slow when others said it shouldn't be.
    5. iTunes syncing
    6. I already owned apps since I have a touch 2g as well.
  7. xI Jakk Ix

xI Jakk Ix New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    iPhones are really overrated, but still amazing. A HTC will do you perfectly.
  8. xXrkidXx

xXrkidXx Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    That's just because you and I have the iPhone 3G. Once you feel the speed and power of the iPhone 4 it's hard to go back..

It really is amazing, and personally, screw android. Get the iPhone. Plus if you don't like it the resale is insane..(Like $900 even though that's what your paying but still, It's a lot of money)

To a jailbroken iPhone, Android doesn't compare. One that's jailbroken can do everything an Android can and MORE.

It's well worth your money to get the iPhone. But if I haven't convinced you head on over to your cellular place(Wherever they sell iPhones in Europe) and try one out. Trust me, I almost put $200 down on the spot, except I didn't have an upgrade price :'(
  9. Shaquille

Shaquille New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    iPhone's are overated.
  10. chort27

chort27 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    The iphone 4 is NOT faster than the android phones, that is a really general statement. The iPhone also has many more bugs and glitches than the android phones do.
    Now, I am an iPhone owner, not an android owner. But I can definitely say that the iPhone is about the name more than the performance. My iPhone has all the features I need, but that does not mean the android phones do not have more features, higher specs, faster processors... etc.