Would a pre-2.0 jailbroken iPod ever become Rare?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X Jailbreak' started by sokolov1, Jul 1, 2008.

1. sokolov1

sokolov1 New Member

Let's imagine its 1 year ahead from july 11th, i imagine alot of you have seen the light and gone with apples official appstore, also a year from now appstore is double the size of installer - although still has no illegal apps i.e. emulators.

So now , july 11th 2009, would jailbreak programmers have packed in the game? If so this means no support for installer, which in turn means nobody has a jailbroken iPod.

Now, lets imagine someone stook with the jailbreak regardless of whether new apps came out or not, and had almost every useful application (along with emulators + ROMs). Would the value of this iPod have increased - for the simple reason it would be impossible to get these applications anymore? Or do you think people won't care how rare the applications are.

Please note: This is obviously all speculation, i doubt that 1 year from now people would have packed in installer alltogether. But perhaps 3 or 4 years down the line. Don't forget it's installer that needs the maintainence and who would pay to maintain installer when only a few people use it?

p.s - by rare i also mean go up in value (eBay).

p.p.s - we're also assuming there is no way to break the official 2.0 firmware (let's say wnPWN goes wrong).
  2. nbvikingsidiot001

nbvikingsidiot001 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    installer will always live along with jailbreaking
  3. thechungster

thechungster Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    hmm, i really dont know whats going to happen. but we'll have to wait for 2.0 to come out to see if we can actually jailbreak it. but if it cant, i think a lot of people might stay on 1.1.4 for the emulators and themes. im sticking with it on my iPod till i get the iPhone 3G
  4. sokolov1

sokolov1 New Member

Oh, you raised a good point there. I totally forgot to take into consideration most of us will have 2 iPods : our 3G's and our Touches.
  5. thechungster

thechungster Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    well maybe not all. most people are selling their touches for 3G's but i like to have gadgets so im keeping my iPod touch
  6. Gitykins

Gitykins Banned

You could simply go into DFU from 2.0, and restore to 1.1.4 and jailbreak again.
  7. Winterboard

Winterboard Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    no i dont think so... some users are still on 1.1.1