Review Worms

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by TDG, Jul 16, 2009.

1. TDG

TDG Active Member

icon100x100.png
    Developer: Team17 Software Ltd
    Price: $4.99
    Version Reviewed: 1.0
    Released: 2009-07-11
    Category: Games / Strategy​

Worms. Most of us know that this game has been to just about platform and back, so it's about time the iPhone version reared it's not-so-ugly head.

This game is a combat war/strategy game like the well-known games iShoot and Pocket Tanks. You take turns with a computer, or a friend, firing missiles and grenades, and... sheep? Yes sheep. This game has a few odd weapons that you won't see in most other games, which I will get to later. You are able to move through the battlefield by touching and holding either the left or right side of the screen. You can also jump by tapping your worm, or double-tap for a higher backflip. You also have in your artillery, items that help you move around the battlefield, such as jet-packs and ninja ropes. Good luck moving around in these mine covered playgrounds.

Please Register or Log in to view images

I would like to point out a couple of game factors in the above picture.

As you can see, in the top-right corner, we have our timer, usually set around 45 seconds in quick matches, but varies in challenge mode. In practice mode, there will be no set time limit on your turn. In the top left corner you will see the wind indicator. In this picture, the wind is blowing mildly to the west, but beware; wind can be a huge factor in this game. Near the wind indicator, there is a crate. These crates are usually dropped at the end of the cycle of team turns. Wooden crates indicate that there is a weapon inside, blue crates indicate a transportation device, and crates with a green + on them indicate a health crate, which ups your health 25 points. At the bottom of the screen, the green item with a big red button on it, the item that our friend Pickles is flying over, is a land mine. These are scattered throughout the battlefield, which can make it tough and stressful to move about the area.

A few more things I'd like to point out in this picture. You can see some odd obstacles around in this one, such as an elf shoe (I believe) , a snowman, and whatever the black thing on a pole is. These also make it difficult to move around because these worms cannot jump very high at all, and most of the obstacles as you can see are rather big, too big to jump on or over for the most part anyway. And of course the dreaded water. You have to be careful in more open levels in this game because every battlefield has water (with the exception of the volcano's lava). If you get blasted or punched in the water, you're dead. The water is an instant kill, a great weapon against enemies spawned near the edge, a great pain in the butt if you are spawned near the edge. It is so easy to fall into the water, especially with those pesky land mines. This game makes it too easy for you to die, which is obviously a real turn-off.

Also, as you look at our friend Coco, each worm starts out with 100 health points.

Here we have our table of weapons. As you can see, there are many different, distinct weapons in your disposal (sometimes).

The weapons are as follows:

Top row; left to right: Bazooka, Grenade, Homing Missile, Cluster Bomb, Banana Bomb, Dynamite, Air Strike

Second row: Shotgun, Uzi, Fire Punch, Dragon Ball, Prod, Mine, Sheep

Third row: Kamikaze, Holy Hand Grenade, Baseball Bat, Concrete Donkey, Ninja Rope, Parachute, Girder

Bottom Row: Jet Pack, Teleport, Blow Torch, Skip Go, Surrender

The "x#" indicates how many of that weapon you have left, and the (#) indicates how many turns you must take before receiving that weapon.

Feel free to skip the weapon descriptions.
    The bazooka is obviously a missile launcher, the basic weapon in Worms. The grenade is also a basic weapon in Worms, with a pretty small blast radius. The homing missile lets you place a target on your enemy, and then launch your rocket, although it does miss a percentage of the time. The cluster bomb is just a grenade, with sub-explosives inside of it. The banana bomb is basically the same thing as the cluster bomb, but in banana form. The air strike sends five missiles down on the area that you place your target. The shotgun is a single burst that you can fire multiple times. The uzi fires multiple bullets at a time at your opponent. The fire punch is a fiery uppercut at close range. The dragon ball is a close range punch, but in horizontal fashion. Prod does not hurt your opponent, but it is useful for pushing them into the water or into mines. Mines are exactly what you would find on the ground. The sheep jumps around the level and explodes when you detonate it with the "Fire" button. The Kamikaze is a powerful punch that will cut through obstacles, but also deals great damage to your worm. The holy hand grenade, once thrown, chants "hallelujah", than explodes with a massive blast radius. The baseball bat is a close range weapon, dealing mild damage. The concrete donkey is the mother of all weapons. You place the target where you please, and a giant donkey statue falls from the sky, killing anything in it's path. The ninja rope lets you climb obstacles via a rope. The parachute helps you jump high distances to avoid falling damage. Girders are for building defense. Jet-packs let you travel the map to where ever you please, and you are able to drop dynamite while in mid-air. The teleporter simply teleports you to the destination of your choosing. The blow torch cuts through the level, and deals mild damage if used as a weapon. Skip Go allows you to skip your turn, and surrender is self-explanatory.​

Game Modes:

Quick Game:

The quick game option sets you in a predetermined location, and offers a quick match against one computer team. You can choose difficulties Easy, Medium, or Hard, depending on your skill level.

Practice Match:

The practice match option sends you to a map with loads of computer enemies, and lets you have continuous turns with no restrictions. You may also customize the obstacles, and take out the land mines.

Challenges:

In challenges, you face enemy teams in battles. The enemy teams have 50 health points, until you get past a series of 10 challenges, then they go up 10 points. Doing challenges allows you to unlock voices for your worms and graves for your late soldiers.

~

This game is pretty back and forth with the pros and cons. I find the gameplay a bit difficult, but useable. And another thing; I've noticed on the easy difficulty, the enemies are still pros. They know how to use the wind to their advantage, making near impossible shots and killing my worms with their "boomerang-like missiles". Also, when it comes down to 1 vs. 1, the game seems to drag. I'm not talking about lag, I'm saying if both worms are on either side of the battlefield, it makes it harder to attack, thus bringing the game to a semi-halt. Limited options are also a turn off. I can understand challenges, but you should at least be able to turn off land mines and obstacles in quick play mode.

Quick note: You can play your own music during gameplay by double-tapping the home button.

Overall, this game is addicting, yet hard for beginners. It takes some getting used to, but when you do get used to it, this game is very addicting. I'm not great at it, yet I find myself playing it for an hour at a time.

Replay Value: 7/10
    Value For Money: 7/10

OVERALL RATING:
    7.2/10

2. Radish

Radish Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    Good stuff. An MR Team Worms review is in progress too, be nice to compare the ratings.

Also

And you might want to find a better way to display weapon descriptions, maybe use an indent or something. Really small text = Eyes bleeding.
  3. TDG

TDG Active Member

Cool. It's gonna be fun to see how to see how bad you guys will show me up.

I forgot about the blank space. I was about to do the game modes before the weapons, but then I decided to do weapons first, so I pressed Enter a bunch of times to get it out of my way. Fixed.

And what do you mean by indent? A spoiler would've been great in this situation.
  4. Education

Education Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Center your images. It makes it look a lot nicer.

5. TDG

TDG Active Member

Thanks, done. I was kinda looking for feedback on the review itself though.
  6. NatchIsSoup

NatchIsSoup Banned

DIS REEVEIW R TEH SUCK.

Lawl jaykay. Is this your first review? Cause it's pretty chill (JLC reference). But i'm gonna have to get myself this game and try it out.
  7. Radish

Radish Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    Indent tags.

Code:
     [ INDENT ] [ /INDENT ] 
    Your content is good. Just presentation issues.
  8. TDG

TDG Active Member

I know what you meant by the tags, I just don't see how it will help. But you are a pro, so I'll do it.

It doesn't make a difference when it's centered so never mind.

Yesh Jacobi, it says that at the bottom

9. Radish

Radish Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    AHHH! Just the images, not the text! NOT THE TEXT!
  10. TDG

TDG Active Member

Okay, OKAY!