Working Market on the ipod touch 1g with ifroyo-0.1.2

Discussion in 'Android Chat' started by droid_junkie, Jul 4, 2010.

1. droid_junkie

droid_junkie New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    This is how to get Gapps with iFroyo running on your iPod touch 1g using Ubuntu.

DISCLAIMER : THIS DOES NOT WORK WITH ANY OTHER RELEASE OF ANY OTHER ANDROID FOR IPOD. IT DOES NOT WORK WITH ANY OF DJMITZA'S RELEASES, NOR DOES IT WORK WITH ANY RELEASE THAT IS ANDROID 2.2 OR LOWER. IT ONLY WORKS WITH DARIO'S IFROYO 0.1.2. I WILL NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE THAT MAY COME FROM FOLLOWING THIS GUIDE. IF YOU BRICK YOU IPOD ITS FROM YOUR OWN STUPIDITY AND NOT MY TUTORIAL.

1. Download "Dario's iFroyo 0.1.2" Release here
    2. Extract the files to your desktop.
    3. Google "Bugless Beast Froyo" and click the version 0.1 link and download v0.1 and extract it your desktop.
    4. Once the download is complete open the system/app folder from the Bugless Beast Froyo download and delete launcher2, and adobe flash.
    5. In terminal type
    Code:
    cd Desktop/iFroyo-0.1.2
    and press enter. If that does not work then just cd to the iFroyo 0.1.2 folder you downloaded.
    6. In terminal type
    Code:
    e2fsck -f system.img
    and press enter. Next type
    Code:
    resize2fs system.img 160000
    I know this is huge, don't worry we will resize it smaller later. I can not remember but you might have to sudo that command.
    7. In terminal type
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /mnt/system
    if it gives you a warning about that directory already existing then do not worry about it just continue with the next step.
    8. In terminal type
    Code:
    sudo mount -o loop system.img /mnt/system
    and press enter.
    9. In terminal type
    Code:
    sudo Nautilus
    and press enter.
    When nautilus opens be careful of what you do as you are now rooted.
    10. Now navigate to /mnt/system/app.
    11. Double click the system folder that you got when you downloaded Bugless Beast Froyo. The same folder from step 4.
    Highlight all the files and drag and drop them into /mnt/system/app.
    You should not get any kind of error except for a skip or replace existing file dialog box. Of course your gonna wanna replace all files. If you get any kind of warnings about you dont have correct permissions then you did it wrong and need to go back to step 9-11.
    12. Once you have copied all the files over close all your windows, every single one.
    13. Open up terminal and type
    Code:
    sudo umount /mnt/system
    14. Next type (in terminal)
    Code:
    e2fsck -f system.img
    and press enter. Then type
    Code:
    resize2fs system.img 16000
    this will give you an error saying it is smaller then the minimum required size, so take the minimum required size and type this
    Code:
    resize2fs system.img whateverminimumsizeis
    and press enter.
    Now you have a modified system.img.
    15. Take the modified system.img and the other iFroyo 0.1.2 files you downloaded and upload to your iPod as you normally would.
    16. Boot into android, when your iPod is done booting you will see the set-up menu, click begin or get started or whatever it says. When it comes time to enter you google account information your going to need to click the skip set-up button or I will add account info later button.
    17. Setup your wireless connection. Once you are connected open up the browser to make sure it is working properly.
    18. Exit back out to the home screen press the menu button, find the market icon and click it.
    The next few parts are slow.
    19. The Android Market "Terms of Service" is going to load, your going to want to click accept, or agree.
    20. Now is the time to enter your Google account information. Put in your email address and password.
    I suggest you going into display settings and select 30 minutes for your screen timeout because if you screen times out you would have to start over at step 18.
    21. Download your first Google Market application (I suggest Advanced Task Killer Free.
  2. Tkf1

Tkf1 Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    iPad mini
    2 App Stores on 1 device! (Not counting Cydia)

Good work!
  3. droid_junkie

droid_junkie New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    thank you, took me a long time to get this figured out. I am glad it finally works now!
  4. cooldued59

cooldued59 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    This is a prime tutorial.

However,
    I have two quick questions though:
    1) What zimage can we use? I used the zimage that came with the package and got WSOD and Alex's has no touchscreen support(?).
    2) Remember the tripleboot openiboot by ninn? Is it compatitible with this?
  5. droid_junkie

droid_junkie New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    1.) I am currently using alex's v0.5 ipod touch kernel and everything is working as it should (cant test adb thought as I screwed my computer set-up in that aspect. Make sure you have the firmware in the /private/var/firmware folder on your ipod and touch should work
    2. it is compatiable with ninn's tripleboot openiboot although not how you would like it to be, if you rename each file with a 2 after the file name it wont boot 2.2 as the 4 files have to be coded to know that each file has a "2" after the name, before the extension. I am currently working on fixing that problem as we speak. If/when i get ninn's help it will go alot smoother/quicker.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    the kernel that comes with the package is for the iPhone 3g so yeah wsod is normal if you use that kernel, it actually had me freaking out that I f***ed something up...
  6. GazaIan

GazaIan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    The first person who disregards the disclaimer and screws up their iPod is going to be publicly humiliated.
  7. cooldued59

cooldued59 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    IMPORTANT INFO
    If you are having connectivity issues, use only andoird.img.gz file from iFroyo 0.1.3b.

YAY IT WORKS! THANKS DROID_JUNKIE!
  8. VJaMaLW

VJaMaLW New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    thanks i had trouble finding the bugless beast download
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    i havent tried it yet, but it does work when you make a new image and do mkfs.ext2 on it right?
  9. droid_junkie

droid_junkie New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    i am not sure, I have not tried it that way, I am not sure if any of the other files in system.img are ipod specific. I will try when i get home and if it does work then that will defenitly be easier
  10. manlisten

manlisten New Member

Worked great for me. Only issue is DNS does not work, had to apply the fix from the iDroid Project wiki. But I have to run the command every time I reboot because the init.rc file does not store the changes.

Anyway, great job.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Just for giggles here are my Linpack results:

http://i47.tinypic.com/b4tbpl.jpg

BTW, the home screen moves a lot smoother with ADW.Launcher from the Market.