Working iSync Utility for iPod Touch!

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by francisois, Nov 23, 2007.

1. francisois

francisois New Member

Update (07/19/2007) wiSync 1.0 Officially Launched:
    wiSync 1.0 was launched yesterday, with a full GUI implementation as promised, and a host of enhancements and customizability!

Official Launch Site
    Public Download Mirror

Please Register or Log in to view images

Update (07/12/2007) Final Beta Released:

Fantastic news! The final beta version of iSync has been released. This release is guaranteed to work on all macs. The method by which the app calls the GUI has had a major overhaul and this means that the app will now "just work" for everyone. No need to set it to run in terminal or anything, and no more problems involving text not appearing in the text fields.

The best news, however, is that this is the final version of iSync that uses a GUI maker, we have a new c++ coder on board, godshadow. The next release will have its own Cocoa GUI, everything will run from within the GUI so no more annoying terminal windows, and you will only have to enter a password once.

More importantly, though, is that we are now in active development of wifi calendar and contacts synchronization, and this makes itunes synchronization that much closer to mass availability. Additionally, the new app will enable 'true' automatic sync, any time you make a change to the sync dir, your iPod/iPhone will be updated, and vice versa. Also, the new app will have an iTunes-like interface for simplicity, and when iTunes support is enabled, you will be able to see your sync dir and your playlists within the app.

And for those of you who are windows users, you can rejoice, because we will finally have windows support in the next 2 weeks. Those of you who use linux, support for your OS will come even sooner than that!

Bear with us though, but the app will be out of beta by then. Obviously because of trademark issues, we need to change the name of the app to something less provocative. We haven't decided what to call it yet, but we'll come up with something

Download iSync Here

2. francisois

francisois New Member

0.2b Released, MobileFinder now included

Version 0.2b is out (OLD - see initial post for the newest version)

Upon request, I have modified the utility to provide an option for installing MobileFinder* on the iPhone/iPod. Shell script commands are slightly more efficient now, and the execution is slightly more verbose, indicating to the user that an error has occurred and why it has occurred.

*Note: You must put the included Finder.app file on your desktop for the installation to succeed.

http://code.google.com/p/iphone-isync/
  3. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Does this kill the battery quickly? Or is it designed to only be used when connected?
  4. ipodtouch1234

ipodtouch1234 Active Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    f. Only for mac.

5. francisois

francisois New Member

Battery life

------------------------------
    Important Note!!!:

You need to enable Remote Login in your Mac Sharing preferences for this to work.
    ------------------------------

DerekVOF: Actually, this utility uses the cron and rsync tools provided with all UNIX-based systems (fortunately including the new iPods!).

rsync is extremely advanced, it will synchronize two or more folders over a network using ssh, but before sending or receiving any files, it does a quick check to poll for differences between the two network dirs. If there is no difference, rsync does nothing at all, and the battery remains untouched. From my tests over the course of 3 days, when there is a difference between the folders (eg. iPod Sync dir empty at first run), synchronization of 25MB of documents takes around 90 seconds (yes its pretty darn fast too). So what this all means is that this utility will only drain as much battery as streaming 1:30 of audio in safari

Next comes cron, you may have noticed that the pre-defined sync frequencies are pretty conservative, the most frequent setting synchronizes 3 times an hour. I don't know about you, but my iPod sync dir has not changed for 2 days, meaning that rsync didn't have to do anything at all.

However, if you have folders that are updated constantly throughout the day and you're worried about battery life, just reply to this thread if you'd like me to include synchronization frequencies such as (every 3 hours, every 1 day, every weekend etc.) in the next release, and I'll get right on it.

And honestly, guys I'd love more feedback as this utility is still in beta and has a lot more room for improvement. Just reply to this thread with a list of features you'd like to see and I promise I'll do my best to provide.

Next up in iSync_0_3b:

1. Finally! an uninstaller that disables iSync remotely from your Mac
    2. A script on your iPhone/iPod that toggles iSync on and off. If you're lucky, it will have a SpringBoard icon, otherwise you'll have to execute it from MobileFinder
    3. Maybe: a script on your iPhone/iPod that is basically a "Sync Now" feature that will allow you to synchronize on the spot without having to wait for the scheduled syncs (useful if you need to leave your Mac behind and you're in a hurry)

--------------------------
    Issues:

1. Currently, this utility will only work on the network it was installed on, so if you have a laptop that you move around between different networks, this utility will not synchronize until you are back in the original network where you installed it.
    ---------------------------

If you have a laptop and the above issue annoys you, reply to the thread and I will include the ability in the next release to "Add Network". This will need to run when you're in the other network you'd like to sync on, and will not upload any files or change the sync dirs or anything, it will simply update the crontab on your iPod/iPhone to include the new IP's

Note: This will also be useful if you'd like your iPod/iPhone to be a middle-man between two computers, synchronize with Computer 1, and when your device is in the network range of Computer 2, synchronize with Computer 2!

EDIT:

Yes sorry ipodtouch1234, currently this is only for Macs. Macs have a built in SSH server and only Windows Server has a similar feature. I'm sure someone out there will take the code and optimize it for windows machines

6. Applefan69

Applefan69 New Member

very nice, will this work on panther?

I'd like to know, because well my computer with all my music and media files are on an old mac thats running 10.3.9 Panther. I've been meaning to transfer those files to my newer mac (whihc is running Leopard, to put them onto my iPod) but... i'm pretty lazy and this could make it a whole lot easier.
  7. francisois

francisois New Member

Applefan69:

You bring up a good point, I should have posted compatibility info:

Operating system: Mac OS X 10.2 or higher
    Universal Binary: Yes

Theoretically the code should run on any unix-based system, but the GUI is the issue here as my app is based on Pashua 0.9.4 which only supports OS X 10.2 and above.

In any case, you should be fine. One point though, if you are planning on moving a large amount of files, you should be aware that you are transferring over wi-fi and therefore will only be getting around 300-400kB/s. Plus, iTunes support has not yet been implemented (working on it as I write this), so I don't know what you meant by "my music", but if you use this tool, while the music will be there on your ipod, it will not appear in your song list. If that is what you mean, then I suggest simply linking the two computers with an ethernet cable and transferring your music to the leopard mac via ftp (fastest option) or through Apple File Sharing (drag and drop in Finder - extremely slow).

Good luck and congrats on upgrading to Leopard

8. Applefan69

Applefan69 New Member

Thanks for the info. I dont just want the music and stuff to be on my iPod i want it working with iTunes. So I can just wait until you get it working with itunes. Or maybe I'll do what you said to do with an ethernet cable. I know i gotta move my music onto my new computer sooner or later but currently i have no motivation.

Do you know about the speed of transfer is, by direct ethernet cable? I've got about 5Gb's of music to transfer (main reason i've been procrastinating) But if it's fast enough then i might as well just do that right now.
  9. francisois

francisois New Member

lol no worries m8, 5GB is a piece of cake, FTP over ethernet should take less than 10 minutes (probably around 7 minutes). Download cyberduck on Panther, and on Leopard, open your Sharing preferences, select File Sharing, click the Options button and enable FTP file sharing. Take note of the IP it gives you when you enable it. Connect the cables, disable airport on both computers, run cyberduck on your old computer and connect to your new one using the machine's IP and username/password. It's a simple drag and drop procedure and you should be done in less than 10 minutes.

I wonder if your issue has anything to do with Apple's retarded decision not to support the iPod Touch on Panther..... In any case, just follow the instructions and you'll be up and ready in no time. If you encounter any problems, feel free to ask.
  10. Applefan69

Applefan69 New Member

"I wonder if your issue has anything to do with Apple's retarded decision not to support the iPod Touch on Panther....."

thats exactly my problem, and i'd already pre-ordered the iPod by time I found that out, oh well it's a great device and I'm glad i got it either way.

Plus, thanks to your help it's not so bad after-all. Thanks again.