Work around for those that have the Installer.app crash to screen after starting...

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by kujo, Feb 7, 2008.

1. kujo

kujo Member

Device:
    iPhone
    OK people...

This may be a bit hard to follow for some, so I apologize in advance.

Open the MobileFinder and click on the little apple icon. Then click on the up icon. This takes you to the var/root/Library folder.

Scroll to the Installer folder at this level. Double tap the Installer folder to move into it.

Select the RemotePackages.plist file. When it is highlighted, click the file icon. Then click the delete icon.

Click on the little apple icon once more. Double tap into the trash folder.

Highlight the RemotePackages.plist file and do the same as before (file then delete).

This removes the RemotePackages.plist file from the iPhone/iTouch... This file gets generated each time the sources are refreshed within the installer app.

My theory (and yes, is is just that) is that this file gets too large for the installer to handle when too many sources are added. The problem only appears when the installer is loading, not when it is creating this file.

Once this file is deleted, kicking off the installer app forces it to generate this file again.

All seems to function fine once this happens. Although, if the too many sources culprits are not removed, the installer will crash again once closed and reopened.

If so, just lather, rinse and repeat the above...

Hope this helps some of y'all!

And hopefully the author can come up with a fix for this!!!
    4 people like this.
  2. nolanfortwenty

nolanfortwenty New Member

ok im at the highlighted remote packages step, but i dont see a file icon:S im using an app called squib

-edit- i think squid does the same thing as mobile finder
  3. nolanfortwenty

nolanfortwenty New Member

on second thought, i think squib might just be for veiwing files, is mobile finder built into my ipod and how do i get to it if it is? thanks in advance
  4. FluxBox

FluxBox New Member

You get MobileFinder through Installer >.<

Use SSH for this instead.
  5. kevio

kevio New Member

I just tried it and it didn't change anything. Installer still opens to a white screen, hangs for a bit and then crashes.
  6. kevio

kevio New Member

Ok, so this whole thing started when I tried to update to the latest version of AppTapp Installer. I manually copied the Installer package using SSH, replacing the old version. Still it didn't work. Finally, I figured out what it was. I had to go in and change the permissions to 755 for everything in /Applications/Installer and /var/root/Library/Installer. Then I was able to launch the Installer.app. Of course the first thing it's asking me is to update the installer. I go to updated it and it says there isn't enough space. Even though I have way more than enough space. Any new ideas?
  7. freelancer91

freelancer91 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    dude! mega reps for this! I was dreading that I might have to restore.

EDIT: I also nominate this for a sticky.
  8. MaNnYxFrEsH

MaNnYxFrEsH New Member

There isnt even an Installer folder in mine. It isnt in WinSCP either does anyone know why ??
  9. kujo

kujo Member

Device:
    iPhone
    The Installer folder location changed with firmware 1.1.3 and 1.1.4.

Prior to 1.1.3
    /var/root/Library/Installer

1.1.3 and 1.1.4
    /var/mobile/Library

What I have done to make this simple for myself is just add the following to the Tapp.app:

rm private/var/mobile/Library/Installer/RemotePackages.plist

My source list is huge now, so I generally have to run this "Tapp" every time I load Installer. It is most definitely a pain but it works like a charm.

Happy iPod Touching!
  10. ralliart12

ralliart12 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Hi, a couple of quick qns here:

1. Will doing the things in bold apply for jb-1.1.2's overloaded Installer RemotePackages.plist problem? So how do u add that command to Tapp.app? Wat's Tapp.app? You command just removes that plist everytime Tapp.app runs right?

2. Anybody can teach me which plist file inside Installer folder to edit if I wanna trim away sources manually? & how to remove a source while I edit the respective file?

Thanx!