Word + Print

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Carrington, Dec 23, 2007.

1. Carrington

Carrington New Member

Is there a possibility to have a Word Document on the Ipod Touch and/or a way to Print off of the IpoT wirelessly?
  2. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

Currently: No, and no. There is no word processor on the Touch right now, nor a DOC viewer. There's a PDF viewer, though, if you can save to PDF. No wireless printing support, as that would require network print drivers which are not currently available.
  3. setix

setix Member

that would be awsome if they could actually make that happen, i know its possible, just a matter of coding it for hte ipot
  4. Zink

Zink Member

Device:
    iPad
    Well you can type stuff on Mobiletextedit
  5. Virtualball

Virtualball Well-Known Member

6. orenco82

orenco82 New Member

I agree there isn't any way to edit word documents on the ipod touch right now, but I use the touch every day to view word documents (useful for college).
    I think the ability to view word documents (also excel spreadsheets) is built in into safari. I use it the same way I view pdf documents- copy them into the touch and view them in the safari browser.
    Too bad there is no support for power point files as well- these I have to convert to pdf...
  7. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Yeah, Safari has a Word viewer and I believe that Mail does as well. Just email yourself the docs...

I'm still holding out for someone to port a simple word processor like Bean over to the iPod Touch...
  8. sunsurfin

sunsurfin New Member

I'm not an app developer by any stretch of the term, though I wish I was. I'm wondering though- to get around the printer drivers issue, would it be possible to route the request to print from the iPod to a computer (using a wifi network), so that it requests to print for you?

In other words, I find some email I want to print, click print, and it remotely accesses my computer and prints it, without me knowing any different, so it appears it printed from the iPod.
  9. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

That would require two apps: One on the Touch to send the request and the data, and one on the PC/Mac to act as a server listening for said request and data and then routing it all to the desktop's print service. If there was a way to copy files from the Touch to a desktop through VNC (i.e. via VNSea for the Touch) then you could activate the print service remotely, but that's about the closest method I can think of, assuming it is even possible. (You could probably activate VNSea, remotely connect to your desktop, run WinSCP remotely to log into your Touch from there, and copy the file out that way. It's a pretty roundabout way, but it will probably work.)

Otherwise, it would be easier just to write network print drivers.
  10. moto617

moto617 New Member

If a company could make a bluetooth thing to plug into the bottom of the ipod and a few apps were made, it could probably work.