WOAH!- Playlists are making duplicates of my songs!

Discussion in 'iTunes' started by sdschramm, Feb 2, 2009.

1. sdschramm

sdschramm Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Well I was wondering why my old iPod touch is always full - its only an 8 giger, but I didn't think I had THAT much music, well I found out why - its the PLAYLISTS that are clogging up the memory. For example, I have many different playlists and but a lot of them have the same songs in them, Its hard to explain how I have them set up but what I'm getting at is when you sync a playlist, for some reason it is also syncing a copy of those songs. I thought a playist was just small text or data file that says "first play this, then play that" where instead, it coping the WHOLE SONGS so you may only have say 500 songs that 1 gig, but if you make a playlist with all of those 500 songs, now your actually transferring 1000 songs and are using up 2 gigs of memory!

just thought I let everyone know - and at the same time see if anyone else has noticed this. I uncheked some playlists from my iPod today (some playlists I only need for iTunes on the computer, others I also want on my iPod) and after unchecking just a few playlists, I free'ed up almost a whole GIG of memory!

Please post your comments!
  2. arikado

arikado New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Seriously?

Are the duplicates only being made in itunes?
    Does it make copies of the actual mp3 files too?
  3. sdschramm

sdschramm Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I don't know - all I know is if I uncheck (so they don't sync to my iPod) a few playlists, it will free up atleast 500 megs of space. If the playlist was just a data file, it would only free up like 500 kilobytes.
  4. arikado

arikado New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Wow, itunes is retarded.

Im seriously thinking of deleting my playlists now.