wireless router

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by vash07, Dec 2, 2007.

1. vash07

vash07 New Member

ummm my question is
    where can i find a good wireless router that can connect to wifi and its
    cheap?
    any ideas
    im thinking about target or best buy, but best buy is a lil expensive
    or instead of getting a wireless router can a wireless USB adapter do the trick?
  2. Blake

Blake Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    I have a linksys...
    But I hear NetGear is also good.
  3. Steaps

Steaps New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    a wireless usb adapter would not give you a wi-fi connection, it would give you access to wi-fi on your computer or laptop, if you would like wifi in your home i would recomend buying a d-link (google it) router, which can be bought at best buy, a cheap low distance one maybe around $30 canadian.
  4. vash07

vash07 New Member

5. kf6tac

kf6tac New Member

I have the Netgear router and it works great, but I'm tempted to say that if they're the same price, go for the D-Link - I've had mixed success with Netgear products and I tend to hear better things about D-Link, though I've never used a D-Link myself.
  6. vash07

vash07 New Member

thanks =D

any more opinions yall?
  7. illu

illu New Member

8. cowboyshootist

cowboyshootist New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    While you can use a USB WiFi adapter to connect the Touch to the Web it means pushing all the network traffic through the PC that the adapter is connected to. The down side of this is that if someone is using the PC for other things it may impact performance of the Touch's WiFi connection or may impact the performance of the application on the PC.

The other downside is if the PC is not turned on you can't use the USB adapter whereas the Router with WiFi does not need a PC to make the Internet connection.

My question for you is who is your Internet provider? If it is Cable, DSL or Verizon FIOS then your provider should have a WiFi router for you to use with your Touch and your computers. It should not cost you any more for that feature. If you have dial-up then a router is probably not the best idea since you need to make an Internet connection with the PC anyway and the USB adapter would probably be the cheapest way to go (although the cheap USB WiFi access points do not have the best performance).