Wireless router....at work??

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Utzz, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Utzz

Utzz New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    At home I have Verizon FiOS with the Actiontec router that they supply. Using my iPod Touch on my home network gives me 0 problems.

When I come into work though, I do not have a Wi-Fi connection. In my office I have one CAT5 cable coming into it. It's hooked to a 4-port switch. One output of that switch feeds my 'actual' work PC and another output feeds a second PC. This second PC only has WinXP on it (no company software) and has no problems acquiring an IP (via DHCP) and connecting to the internet.

I have tried setting up an ad-hoc network using a USB Wi-Fi stick on my second PC and had very limited success (when it worked, as long as I kept doing something, it'd stay alive...but after some time, it would just auto-disconnect and it's the re-connecting that seems to be screwing up), so I'm looking for a solution that seems as 'robust' as what I have at home.

So my question is: Is it possible to bring a wireless router into my workplace and set it up so that it mimics my home setup? I have read about turning a wireless router into an access point...but for my particular situation (inside a company environment), would an actual access point really be the way to go?
  2. carfreak95

carfreak95 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Try another usb wifi because thats the best way. Im not sure why ur having problems