Wireless Passwords: Where are they stored?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by reason2breathe, Apr 2, 2008.

1. reason2breathe

reason2breathe New Member

Hello!
    I was just wondering, is there a .plist or .txt file anywhere on the ipod that the preferences application saves wireless keys to? I've looked, but can't find it...

The reason I ask is because someone typed in the wireless password to my college, but forgot to give me the password myself! Instead of wasting my time asking them, is there any way i could get it myself, from the iPod itself (along with the proxy settings etc.)

Thank you!

-reason2breathe
  2. wearmaize

wearmaize Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    yeah, there is one. It stores your cookies. There is also a .plist file that stores everything you type.

Probably somewhere under /System/Library/CoreServices
  3. QuAdS

QuAdS New Member

i also need the .plist that stores everything that you type.
  4. wearmaize

wearmaize Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    The problem is that IDK where it is.

There was a thread I saw a while ago, search for it.
  5. reason2breathe

I've tried, but no cigar i'm afraid... But, if someone who does no where it is could reply to the thread, t'would be great.

Please Register or Log in to view images

EDIT: /private/var/preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.network.identification.plist

This looks promising, but i can't find any passwords.... Am i looking along the right lines?

EDIT 2: /private/var/preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.wifi.plist

This one even more so, it tells me whether it is WEP or not, and even tells me the length of the code, but not the code itself.
  6. reason2breathe

7. reason2breathe

Come on guys! I find it hard to believe that NOBODY knows!!
  8. eneerge

eneerge New Member

Also need this

I'm also looking for this piece of information. If you use every last character space on your router to make sure it's as secure as possible, it would be much easier if you could just copy and paste the information into a plist or similar file so that you don't have to type it all on the iPhone. I've got a few wireless routers that use every character space available for the password, so it would really be helpful to me.

Also, it would be helpful to be able to use the ` key. That way you wouldn't have to remove every instance of that from the password and change it to something else. Not having access to that character, also eliminates 1 character from the available characters that you can use, which means a cracker has one less character he has to brute force with, which could improve his chances of cracking the network. So I hope it's possible we can figure out where these passwords are recorded so we could possibly make use of this character and thus add that back to the character set. Sure the security is still good, but less than intended.

Thanks