Wireless file transfering app?

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Games & Apps' started by tillicollpase, Sep 4, 2010.

1. tillicollpase

tillicollpase New Member

Is there an app (jailbroken or otherwise) that lets you transfer files between your computer and your ipod touch over wifi without having to install something on the computer?
    I am using filemagic and checked out a few others but they all seem to require you to install a separate application on the computer.
    In other words, is there something that integrates to the native windows file explorer, so that for example an ipod would show up as a usb drive connected to the computer. Wi-fi sync is similar but it works only for itunes syncing. I want something that transfers files directly.
    Thanks a lot.
  2. sam_rock

sam_rock Active Member

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    iFile!

enable WIFI web server in iFile (tap the WIFI icon from tab bar) n open ur browser on ur computer, type the IP address of ur iPod with Port #, u can check that in iFile when u enable web server. it enables u to upload files (1 at a time) to ur iPod or download them to ur computer. i use it when i'm on my fren's PCs which don't have iTunes installed!
  3. tillicollpase

tillicollpase New Member

Thanks a lot!
    I didn't know iFile could do that.
    The only problem is that it doesn't work on windows explorer.
    I can connect to the ipod using firefox but entering the same address does not work on windows explorer.
    Am I doing something wrong? Maybe ipod has to be on the same windows home network? Does anyone know how to add ipod to windows network?
  4. sam_rock

sam_rock Active Member

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    it's a web server u need ur internet browser LOL. it won't work on windows explorer. i use it on Chrome or Firefox. n yes it is on local network. also it will work on Internet Explorer which PCs have by default. also if u r using hostname instead of IP address, it's case sensitive!
  5. tillicollpase

tillicollpase New Member

Thank you.
    So I guess no simple drag and drop copying.
    It's either using other wifi file transfer apps + PC client or iFile with web browser.
    Either way no getting around having to run an extra program.
    Thanks anyway. I learned something new.
  6. sam_rock

sam_rock Active Member

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    np

Please Register or Log in to view images

iFile is pretty handy. u can files transfer between iDevices using it's bluetooth file transfer. it's pretty useful. for something like drag n drop, u'll need root access to ur device only SSH can give u or maybe some apps from appstore. i only use iFile so that's all i know right now!
  7. thedj

thedj Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    wow man, I didnt know you can do that on iFile, I have been using Discover to transfer wirelessly
  8. iDestiny

iDestiny Well-Known Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    WinSCP requires another install, but since it's an SSH client everything it drag and drop over Wifi