Wired Harddrive into a Router?

Discussion in 'Computing, Science, and Technology' started by Oliver Barker, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Oliver Barker

Oliver Barker New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Well basically I have a MacBook laptop as well as a iOmega 500GB Hard drive, now since I have a laptop I want to take it around with me and I do, but I'm not able to watch any of the videos or listen to my music as its stored on the external drive. I have a Netgear router with Ethernet sockets on the back though since its wireless there aren't any USB ports like the wired version. Is there any way I can put my External Hard drive into the router via a Ethernet socket by using an adapter?
  2. FatherVic

FatherVic New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Linksys nslu2
    http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Storage-Link-Drives-NSLU2/dp/B0001FSCZO/ref=cm_lmf_tit_1_rsrsrs0
  3. mattym

mattym New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Shoulda got a Western Digital My Book World Edition. They have an ethernet port on the back and are designed to be accessed via the net.
  4. Oliver Barker

Oliver Barker New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Thats not what I asked, I wanted to know is there some sort of adapter I can buy to make them compatable?
  5. mattym

mattym New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    There is no such adapter or cable that will do what you want. Even if you find a USB-Ethernet cable, neither your hard drive or router or any combination of the two will let you acces it. That's what the NAS settup is for.

I could easily make you an adapter for Ethernet-USB just to appease you and let you connect it. But it would then just sit there and do absolutely nothing.