Wiping root by mobileterminal??

Discussion in 'iPod touch 2G Jailbreak: redsn0w, 24kpwn, etc.' started by brovius, May 4, 2009.

1. brovius

brovius Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Ok, so I was having this question out of curiousity: what happens to your iPod touch (2G) when you do by terminal "sudo rm -rf /*" ? (Maybe with parameter --no-preserve-root)
    Look, don't be silly and think "Hey, I have no idea what this does but it sounds funny so what the heck." It wipes your entire device.
    But I was thinking, will iTunes still recognize it and send firmware to it to restore it? 'Cause nothings on it. So no DFU-mode (I guess), just plain nothing.

So, again, what will happen?
  2. muhu

muhu Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    I wouldn't try it. But DFU is built into the hardware so you should still be able to restore.
  3. crizh4x

crizh4x Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Well, for one thing, you don't traditionally sudo on the iPod in SSH since you're already rooted. A simple:

Code:
    cd /
    rm -rf /
    will wipe your userland. Since there will be nothing in the Userland, the device will just kick itself into Recovery Mode when it is powered on.
  4. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    i tried it once i dont think it killed it.
  5. brovius

brovius Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Ah, so I could try it?
    There are a few scratches underneath my display cover, so between the display and the glass on top of it; if I bring it back to the store, will they replace the glass for me? And will they check if it was jailbroken? Coz, a few weeks ago, I bought myself the Apple Earbuds with Remote and Mic, and to test it out I popped up my iPod touch, which was jailbroken of course, and the guy who was selling it was like "What the heck????"
    So I was thinking, if they can replace the glass for me, will they check it? Coz if they do I can wipe it using this command...
  6. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Always restore a jailbroken device before you take it to Apple for service.
  7. Shayne1993

Shayne1993 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Dang,people here are crazy!
    Haha,many out there are crying that they've brick their ipod.
    And people here are trying to brick their ipod.
    that's just ironically.
  8. Brewstermax

Brewstermax New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Nobody is trying to brick anything. I think this would be funny to do to someone though.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Questions though. What would happen while it was running? Would it kick back to Springboard or just sit there. What about when it's done? Would it just turn off? Or let you see the springboard in RAM?
  9. madcowz

madcowz New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I think that if you tried this, it would just crash requiring a hard reset, and once it started booting it would go to recovery mode, where you could restore there no problem. To send a jailbroken device to apple, DFU restore it first. I accidentally denied system access into the System folder (pretty stupid, huh?) and it just hung till I force shut it down. Then it just booted at the Apple and spinning wheel forever.