Preview [WIP] Untitled

Discussion in 'iOS Themes and Customization' started by steve19137, Feb 23, 2010.

1. steve19137

steve19137 New Member

[WIP] InkBlot

UPDATE: I am abandoning this theme for the time being. If you would like to continue it, please contact me, and I'll host it somewhere for you.

I would like to introduce my first theme, InkBlot. I have used glyphs that aren't mine, so I would like to give credit to Tollboy (link) for making these basic glyphs.

Please Register or Log in to view images

I used three main bases, a yellow-orange, blue-green, and a purple. I also was directed to some splatter brushes, and I think that is a great combination. Here are my bases.

I plan on finishing this sometime later this week. Please leave feedback.

UPDATE: I figured out how to make glyphs with GIMP, so it will be a whole lot longer than a week before I get this theme done. I hope to make it a full theme, including a iPod skin and Cydia.

UPDATE: I made an iPod glyph with Inkscape! It took me forever to figure out how to use the path tools correctly, but I got it to work! I have both a black and a white one.

Attached Files:

2. David.

David. Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I like it, I am not too crazy about the wallpaper, but the icons look good.
  3. Appman

Appman Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    its pretty good.
  4. steve19137

steve19137 New Member

the wallpaper is to illustrate the transparency.

but im freaked out about the white spots on the edges. i dont know how to remove them.

oh, btw, this theme would be intended to be used with bosspaper or other wallpapers.
  5. theiThemer

theiThemer Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I hear GIMP is actually pretty advanced.
    ... Although I use PhotoShop, I used to use GIMP but I used something called GIMPShop, which is a mod of GIMP that mimics Photoshop and allows in-window file browsing like PhotoShop. So get a copy of GIMPShop, which is also free.

Other than that, you have one base, and its solid black.
    Get new, multiple, creative bases. I suppose you can just use the glyphs on the base but its always good to use some effects and be creative.

Dont just stick a glyph on there. Although you can use the glyph, do some extra things on the side. Just be creative about it.
  6. steve19137

steve19137 New Member

i use ubuntu, and it seems that even though there is a debain version of gimpshop, i cant get it to run. oh well. i dont know what photoshop looks like anyway, and ive never used photoshop before. so thats not a big deal.

but you mentioned other bases. at the moment, i want it to be a black base. once i get the main icons perfected, ill use a nice blue gradient that i found, and do my thing. ill also use drop shadows. you cant do that with a black base. but i was thinking that i could take the white spots and make them grey. maybe that would fix it, and i could continue. idk
  7. theiThemer

theiThemer Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
  8. steve19137

steve19137 New Member

i dont need the gimpshop. i already have the gimp interface down. i dont need to learn another one till i take the photoshop class at school.

ok, then how do i make a good base? and how do i combine them? im happy enough that i have those icons even recognizable!
  9. theiThemer

theiThemer Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Creating a base, hmm.

You could use solid colors and add some sort of effect to it like grain or noise. Another option would be to use a very unique gradient.

If you chose a gradient, it cant just be a regular foreground to background, it has to be a nice gradient. Im sure you can download some gradient packs online if you look.

After you establish *multiple* bases, you could work on maybe some different overlays for the bases, or go right into icon creation.

I dont want this turning into a tutorial thread, just experiment, and post here what youve managed to come up with.
  10. steve19137

steve19137 New Member

overlays. those are like semi-transparent modifications that can be made to individual icons right? like i can put an overlay on one icon, and a different one on another... wow. i could go crazy with this. i like this. i think im catching on pretty good. im going to play with it all for a while, then make something better than what ive got going. thanks