WIP Unnamed

Discussion in 'Graphics, Design, and Photography' started by iRa1n, Sep 25, 2010.

1. iRa1n

iRa1n Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I've been working hard on polishing up my photoshop skills lately and these are the icons i have come up with. Remember i am pretty new to this, but criticism is welcome, and if you could help me find a name that would be most appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. JacobVengeance

JacobVengeance Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Well for the Facebook icon you could try using more of a darker blue and not use the default icon cause of the line on bottom.
  3. iRa1n

iRa1n Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Ok, will give that a try.
  4. GazaIan

GazaIan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Those 2 icons look like they could perfectly fit in a dark theme .. Hell, maybe even a Dark Chocolate theme ..

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. XxRedRumxX

XxRedRumxX Well-Known Member

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Good start. I'd like to see more.
  6. iRa1n

iRa1n Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Thanks, so i should continue?
  7. XxRedRumxX

XxRedRumxX Well-Known Member

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    I say yes.
  8. iRa1n

iRa1n Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Is that a better facebook icon?
  9. link07

link07 Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I would say you should continue

I would download it!!!
  10. Crypt

Crypt Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    because you asked me to:

the base is too rounded, the shadow is far too strong (i'd make it a bit smaller and set it to soft light or overlay), the colors are dull/uninteresting, you've got half pixels on every single glyph, your gloss a) is too high, b) doesn't look good (see my other post), your glyph layer style is too simple&dark (needs a bevel, centered inner glow, etc), the circle on your itunes glyph is too thin, the stocks graph should either not have a gap on the bottom or have a gap on all sides, the center meeting of the envelope parts should be more towards the middle, and the shadows on the envelope are too strong/big

some advice:

the most important skill to have as a theme maker is a good eye; you need to know what looks good* and not settle for anything less. you might say "but i'm still learning photoshop," which is fine, but the difference between an expert's and an amateur's work should just be in the level of detail, i think. amateurs should still be able to pick colors that look good, and fix problems they see.

taking myself as an example, look at these two:

the first icon is extremely simple, something i think every jerry and jane on the block could make, but it still looks great imo; in fact it's one of my favorite icons i've ever made. the second one also looks 'aight, just has loads more detail

quick tips:
    -simplicity and subtlety are always better than anything else, except when they aren't
    -colors to the right of the color picker are always better looking than those to the left, except when they aren't
    -noise always looks bad
    -as with everything, the average joe can't distinguish great from decent

i could probably come up with plenty more to put in this post but i'll stop there; hope this helped

*note that obviously what looks good is different to everyone; the above critique would send it further towards making it look good to me. it's your job as a theme maker to balance what you think what looks right with the critique you get, if they're opposing