[WIP] [Extensive] TwitWho?

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by Abcmsaj, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Abcmsaj

Abcmsaj Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus

Please Register or Log in to view images

Twitter's caught on fast in the past year. It's just had its first birthday and it's had the backing of the news, media and celebrities to help it expand. The App Store is also FULL of Twitter applications - allowing you to tweet on the go from anywhere, with loads of special features available in each app.

In addition, if you click on one of these pictures, you'll go somewhere. Going, going everywhere!

But which is better? I've tried them all, and I've written this huge review for all Twitter users to help them find out which is the best Twitter app. In order to do this extensive project, I've used each app for 2 days and made notes of what I've thought about them and their features, etc. Let's get ready to rumble!

Contents

Because of the sheer size of this review (one post per app) I've decided to implement a contents system into this app. Just select the app you want to read about from the list below, and then when you're done, there's a link at the top and bottom of the post to take you back up to this post, where you can pick another app to look at!

Post #1 - This one.
    Post #2 - iTwitter
    Post #3 - Twinkle
    Post #4 - Twitterific
    Post #5 - TwitterFon
    Post #6 - BirdFeed
    Post #7 - Tweetie
    Post #8 - TweetDeck
    Post #9 - Boxcar - Twitter Push Notifications
    Post #10 - Scores and Conclusion

NOTES:

Sending a Tweet
    Reviewing Tweets
    Speed
    Interface
    Extra Features
  2. Abcmsaj

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus

iTwitter

Name: iTwitter
    Developer: NiBiruTech Ltd
    Price: $2.99 (£1.79)
    Size: 1.1 MB
    Version: 1.0

Interface

The interface of iTwitter diverges away from the standard interface with tabs on the bottom of the screen, and instead uses a main menu with separate menus all in a lovely, neat order. The menu is also completely customisable, meaning that the user can choose whether or not they want a "Favorites" section, and (as I describe later on) you can also add items to the menu.

The bottom of the screen is filled with a download bar, which shows the number of tweets being downloaded. When that isn't there, it shows the time and date of the last refresh. On either side of this are the Refresh and New Tweet buttons, which are frequent throughout the whole app for quick access.

You'll also notice that next to the menu items, there are numbers. These are the number of unread tweets in each section.

Unread tweets are shown in green. If the tweet is a reply to someone else, the original message will be shown in smaller text underneath. This is a nice feature as it means you don't have to troll back through (potentially) pages of previous tweets to find the response. Two nice management features are now present on the bottom bar. You can delete all "read" tweets (as in, grey backgrounded ones) and also mark tweets "as read" so that the number doesn't show on the main menu to bother you.

You can view your followers and the people you're following in a convenient table, (accessible on the main menu). This feature is a God Send for people like me who can't remember the usernames of your friends, so you can just scroll through and find it - But this list of followers is just a BASIC usage... Carry on reading to find out a special feature unique to this Twitter app.

Sending a Tweet

Another simple interface for sending a tweet. The character limit is shown in the centre of the middle bar and the text field is large enough to fit on a whole 140 characters without having to scroll through them. The send button is at the top right corner, and when pressed, it's replaced with a "cancel" button - Which does prove useful, as the amount of times I've forgotten to include something (or misspelt something) in a tweet, and need to replace it.

As standard in most Twitter apps, the two important buttons are also on the middle bar: Photo and Location. Meaning you can send a link of your current location in a tweet (which opens in Google Maps if you're on an iPhone) and you can attach photos (take a photo, or choose an existing one) and in the Settings app, you can choose which image service you want to use (out of yfrog and twitpic)

The third button on the middle bar is an exclusive feature for this app - And it's bloody brilliant. I've explained it in the next section.

Extra Features

Tap that button when you're writing a tweet and it brings up a whole list of people you're following. Meaning you can use the search bar or quick-find letters on the right side to find peoples' Twitter handles quickly, and not get them wrong! This is what most desktop apps need, and this app is the only one (out of these 7) which features it.

The first load takes a while as it has to gather all avatars and the order of the names, but after that they're saved into a cache and load instantly the next time you need them.

Another exclusive feature to this app is push notifications. It was the first Twitter app which featured push notifications, meaning if you get a DM or Mention, you'll get notified. However, there is a catch:

The only way that push notifications work is if the tweet is sent from iTwitter ASWELL. So all your friends need to be on iTwitter ALWAYS for it to work. Which is a problem, because most of us now tweet from our desktops as well. But never fear! Because post 9 has a solution (read it later!)

As mentioned earlier, you can customise the main menu with your own filters. You can choose people who you want to be in the filter, as shown below. And then you'll get notified (the number) of how many tweets you have in that section.

And another lovely feature is the quick-access menus which are accessed by touching on replies. You can bring up links, pictures, twitter accounts, and the options to "Reply", "Retweet" and "Favorite." I think the UI looks brilliant too for a small feature - A very nice take on the 3.0 copy+paste interface.

And finally - The app works in landscape as well! (and also upsidedown if you orientate it that way!)

3. Abcmsaj

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus

Twinkle

Name: Twinkle
    Developer: Tapulous
    Price: FREE (with adverts), $1.99 (£1.19) for Premium
    Size: 2.0 MB
    Version: 1.5

Interface

The latest version of Twinkle brings a much more complex and vast interface for the user to play around with. With all its added functionality (including being its OWN social network for Tapulous), a user would need to familiarise themselves quite well with all the buttons, menus and shortcuts - But I'll do that for you in the next few paragraphs

The Home tab (bottom left) shows you this first interface. You can see from the background that Twinkle customises each section for the social network you're looking at. On top of the screen, you can also see three more options: Tapulous, Twitter and Facebook. As this is primarily a Twitter based review, I'll talk about the other options later on in the "Extra Features" section. When you tap a tweet, you get this interface up:

Now let's see how DMs are arranged.

Similarly, the Messages tab is split into Tapulous and Twitter so you have all your messages allocated to their respective social network. You can also compose messages quickly by tapping the icon in the top right of the screen (same applies for tweets actually, forgot to mention that)

The "Friends" tab is flawed, as it only shows you people you're "following" on the Tapulous section of the social network front. You also can't see who's "following" you back on Tapulous. Plus, you can't see your Twitter followers, or who's following you.

Sending a Tweet

The tweeting interface is simple in this app. You get the option to add your location + add a photo (like you do in most apps) but you can also choose which network you post your status update to. It will ALSO go to the Tapulous network, because that's how they keep track of everything. But you can also opt to send to Twitter, Facebook, or both (nice feature!)

Extra Features

As touched on earlier, the app has more than just Twitter! You have to create a Tapulous account to begin anyway, but then you can add Facebook or Twitter as well.

This means you essentially have 3 social networking sites in one application. And if (like me) you only use Facebook for status updates - This is a perfect way of organising everything.

You can also find people nearby. You can set a location distance and tap refresh. However - This will only find people on the Tapulous network who are nearby you - And most of the time, it's spammers anyway who post their photo and say "Chat with me!" to try and get a member of the opposite gender to fornicate over the internet...

And Twinkle's unique feature? Turn the app landscape and you get a map of the world with real time tweets

Tap a tweet and you can reply to it. It's a very nice feature but annoying if you accidentally activate the accelerometer all the time..

4. Abcmsaj

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus

Twitterific

Name: Twitterrific
    Developer: The Iconfactory
    Price: FREE (with adverts), $2.99 (£2.39) for Premium
    Size: 1.5 MB
    Version: 2.0.2

The first Twitter app for the Mac which I used, was Twitterrific. It was small, easy to hide and had loads of features which I loved. Time to see how the iPhone version compares to its dad...

One of the features I love about this app is that you can change the size of the text in tweets: Small, medium or large. Obviously if you've got difficulty seeing, then large is very useful for you. And if you've got a problem with space and need everything to be neat and tidy, you can opt to have the smallest size, which removes all avatars too for easier viewing.

You'll also notice instantly that the interface is surprisingly empty. This is because The Icon Factory has opted for a hidden menu. To view it, you need to select a tweet from your timeline, and tap on the star in the navbar. This brings up the menu with nine options:

• Thread - View the conversation with this user, in an SMS style
    • Author - View this user's profile (see the image above to see how it looks)
    • @Author - Starts a new tweet with @USERNAME
    • Retweet - Starts a new tweet with RT @USERNAME
    • Link - Starts a new tweet with the link to the selected tweet inside
    • Favorite - You can favorite the tweet for later viewing
    • Mark - You can mark the tweet - Similar to favoriting it, but marked tweets are only marked inside the Twitterrific app (more info later in the post)
    • Email - Email the link to the selected tweet
    • Delete - Delete the tweet (if you are the author)

If you tap @Author, this is the interface you'll get. I can either send an @Reply to @iRadish, or I can tap the tabs on the bottom to quickly interchange between contact methods - Effortless!

Another intuitive and unique feature that Twitterific boasts, is that you can tap a single button when you're writing a tweet to view your timeline and SCROLL aswell! So if you want to make a reference to a tweet in your timeline, or you forgot what you were replying to, you can tap and view your timeline.

As well as that, you can add a photo (top middle), add your location (top right) and shorten your tweet (if it's over 140 characters. This feature normally removes vowels and translates words into internet lingo. i.e whatever becomes w/e)

In addition, if you click on one of these pictures, you'll go somewhere. Going, going everywhere!

Tap the icon in the bottom right corner (the filter) and you can bring up all the filters for your profile. From left to right, you have:

• @Replies to you
    • Direct Messages
    • Favorites
    • Your sent tweets
    • Your marked tweets

The home page of the app (accessed by tapping "Sources" in the top left corner (see two pictures above)) is customisable too. You can add your own custom searches and filters if you use them frequently, and scrolling down to the bottom shows you the current search trends.

Of course, you can also add multiple accounts and manage them all individually too.
  5. Abcmsaj

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus

Twitter Challenge

The Twitter Challenge is a great part of the happy hall0ween contest. You have the opportunity to win not only 1, but 3 different twitter applications: Twitterrific from the Iconfactory, Tweetie 2 from atebits, and the invite-only Brizzly. And so the search begins.
  6. Abcmsaj

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
  7. Abcmsaj

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
  8. Abcmsaj

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus