winscp problem

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by MBaller20, Nov 24, 2007.

1. MBaller20

MBaller20 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I have followed video and written tutorials on how to do this and i did it step by tep but still can't connect. First, i made the host name my ip address on my ipod touch (xxx.xxx.x.xxx). Then, i made the username root and password alpine. when i save those settings and hit login, it searches for a while but then says "Network error:Connection timed out" I have already jailbroken my ipod touch 1.1.2 and have the ssh on. The protocol is on sftp and allow scp fallback is on. Any ideas?
  2. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

When you install OpenSSH you will notice that the first message it tells you is that your first connection will take 30-40 seconds while the network keys are created. After that you should be able to login as normal. When it times out, just let it keep trying until it gets in.
  3. MBaller20

MBaller20 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Still not working. Should i have it plugged into the computer or unplugged?
  4. jdaman007

jdaman007 New Member

yea im having the same problem but do you put your computer's ip address in the host spot or what. Also since its a wireless connections you think i have to be in real close range to get the connection to work. My modem is in the basement and im upstairs doing it.
  5. Scythal

Scythal New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    It doesn't matter whether it's plugged or not, it just helps with the battery. Also, when the iPod is not plugged, it probably saves power and it's harder to connect while it's locked (black screen), if not impossible - in that state most of the processes are not really running. When it's plugged and the USB port provides the power, it doesn't seem to matter.

So maybe try with the plug or set the auto-lock to "Never" in the general settings (and watch your battery draining out

Please Register or Log in to view images

).

I assumed that your settings were correct, that you don't have a firewall blocking the ports and so on (for instance, the assigned IP address is shown in the Wi-Fi settings once it's connected).
  6. shavey99

shavey99 New Member

Port

Also make sure the port # is 22.
  7. jdaman007

jdaman007 New Member

ok ive got it on port 22, sftp and unchecked the scp fallback. this is wat my friend told me to do. The user name and password i put root and alpine. for the host i put the computer ip address that i got from command prompt. I tried x's but it said it didnt exist. Does it have to work through wireless or what. Do you thiink that i need to be closer to my router or an access point of wireless?
  8. Scythal

Scythal New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    To clear out the distance/quality of connection question, you could simply check with Safari, SSH doesn't need more.

I don't see what you mean by "command prompt" for the IP address, however. Do you check that on your PC?

You can also check both IP and connection by installing iSpit, it's a light http server that allows to browse through your iPod directories on a web page from another PC. Add the http://iphone.robota.nl to the Installer sources, the application will be available in the Utilities section.
  9. jdaman007

jdaman007 New Member

ok so i installed ispit but like i find my computer ip address by going to command prompt and typing in ipconfig and it gives it to me. I have two computers so i get the addresses mixed up. I will try to do what you said though.
  10. Scythal

Scythal New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    You need to put the iPod's IP, not the PC's. Check in the Settings, Wi-Fi, it will give you your iPod's IP address.