WinSCP - Possible Solution!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Paintball, Nov 24, 2007.

1. Paintball

Paintball New Member

Ever have a "Connection Timed out" error when trying to connect using WinSCP?
    Well, try this.

First of all, This may or may not work for you. It works every time for me, but that doesn't mean it will positively work for you. But you cant hurt trying. First of all, make sure your not downloading anything off the internet.

Then, in the tray in the bottom-right corner on your desktop, you should see this icon, try expanding it if you don't. Its the one that looks sort of like a monitor.

Please Register or Log in to view images

This is what happens if you put your mouse over it.

Now, right-click that icon and click "Repair".

A window will come up saying its disabling the wireless adapter, then it will enable it again.
    Basically, this just disconnected you from your wireless network, then reconnected you to it.

Now try to connect to your ipod over SSH. You may get a warning about the rsa key, but you can safely ignore that.

Tell me if this worked for you.
  2. Paintball

Paintball New Member

Has this helped anybody?
  3. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

I'm not entirely sure how it would help. All the Repair function does is release and renew your IP. (Same as doing an "ipconfig /release all" followed by "ipconfig /renew all" from the command prompt.)

This can occasionally fix local Internet, LAN and WLAN connectivity problems, but if your host computer isn't having any such problems, it won't help any of your connected devices. The only way I can think of that it is helping in your case is that you are essentially "waking up" the WLAN connetion to your iPod, which Windows made dormant after a period of inactivity; you can effectively eliminate the need to do this by going into your Router config and seeing if there is a "keepalive" option you can enable. This stops connections from disconnecting due to inactivity.

The vast majority of timeouts connecting to the Touch are due either to SSH being turned off, or not being installed when the user applied the jailbreak. (One of the most common problems when using the Touchfree jailbreak is the user forgetting to check the "Install SSH" box when applying it.) The other problem is that while SSH gets installed during the jailbreak process, you still need to install OpenSSH from Installer to make the connection.