Welcome to the iFans Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

WinSCP: Connection timed out.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by donkeykong, Oct 30, 2007.

1. donkeykong

donkeykong Banned

Help!! WinSCP: Connection timed out. Need working SSH

I know, I know, I'm sure many other people are having the same problem. In fact, I know many other people are having the same problem. What I don't know, however, is how to fix it! ;) Despite an hour or so searching the boards for an answer that could help me fix this issue, I have become pretty confident that I am not posting something that has already been answered!

I am running windows XP, and I am sure I did the jailbreak correctly, as I have installer.app, the freebsd plugin, services, SMB, OpenSSH, and everything indicates that wifi and SSH is on.

I looked into the ipod's wireless network setting and the ip address for the network to which it is connected is 172.30.xx.xx, and my computer is the same thing, 172.30.xx.xx. Both are connected to the same wireless network (This is a college network).

Despite all of this, I cannot ssh to my ipod touch via winSCP, as I get the error:timed out message. I even tried pinging the ipod touch through the console, to no avail. I'm confident that I have done "everything under the sun" to try to get this to work, including:

• restarting the ipod
    • reinstalling certain apps on the ipod
    • setting wifi connection to static
    • setting auto lock to never
    • trying both ports 21 and 22
    • remembering the username is root and password is alpine
    • making sure I am using the right IP address (the one on the current network the ipod touch is using)

Might anyone have any idea what is going on? I have no problem installing things from the installer.app, but I absolutely need SSH, as far as I know, to port apps from my windows PC to the ipod. Any help on this issue would be much appreciated :)
  2. donkeykong

donkeykong Banned

Has anyone else had this problem and was able to solve this? I feel dead in the water! :(
  3. be4ugo2

be4ugo2 New Member

timed out

u caught my eye regarding the TIMED OUT ISSUE, wish i knew the answer, this continues to happen to me on windows xpro med ctr, course i have a dial up but i disable everything but the itunes and still my downloads time out; does anyone know what causes this; i will switch isp if that is the problem. let me know if u find and answer; sorry, i cant help much, i would like to configure my itouch for the jailbreak config once i get stabalized, i think.......any info always helps, good luck....keep in touch:confused:
  4. donkeykong

donkeykong Banned

Well, it's nice that I'm not the only one that's getting this problem. Alas, searching the forums bore no fruit. It seems like it might be an issue nobody knows how to solve o_O
  5. pattyadams

pattyadams New Member

I'm sorry I can't add much to this...but you really have done everything possible... it seems. The only thing I would suggest is to try a different client.
    I think putty might be windows based. Good Luck!
  6. donkeykong

donkeykong Banned

Well, maybe there is a real wizard here that might be able to work out the problem with me, so we could come up with a solution that will help people in the future! :)

Here's my contribution: maybe it has to do with the IP address starting with 172 instead of 192, indicating a sort of secure network, with a "masked" IP? That's my best guess right there. I'm not going to give up on this, though! I know many people are having this problem, so I'd like to work it out with an ├╝ber expert here. ;)
  7. ali.bigolo

ali.bigolo Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Well based on what you say you have done everything correct to the letter and I'll have to say your problem is the College network, it is probably firewalled (or secured? as you mentioned above, in many possible ways) and is not allowing you to use Secure SHell to access your iPoT either via SFTP or any other means. I suggets trying under a different network, maybe a home one where you have access to the router which would give us more options to work with.

But if you merely want read/write access to your iPoT I suggest using "ibrickr" which grants you that access using your USB connection to the PC without the use of SSH.

This is a good place to start. Also download a file manager on your iPoT (Squid is ideal for this purpose or anything to allow you to change permissions on the files). Kill all processes related to iTunes (Ctrl+Alt+Del) and after unpacking ibrickr plug in your iPoT via USB run ibrickr and transfer your files. You can then set permissions on them using Squid.

I'm sure there are loads of tutorials on the forum on how to use ibrickr for more information on these just search for ibrickr.

Ali
  8. Lostfaith

Lostfaith New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    have you also checked winxp's built in firewall and any third party firewalls?
    they generally block new stuff from connecting to "protect" you.

have you also checked if it will let you ping the touch?

cmd - ping <ip address>
  9. donkeykong

donkeykong Banned

Yeah it wouldn't let me ping the touch. All of the requests timed out. I think ali is right on the college network being at fault.. it is ridiculously over-secure, with no open ports or any of that. I guess it figures that I couldn't get through any of the ports (21 or 22) to get to the ipod. I am going to download the file manager though and hope that works! :)
  10. donkeykong

donkeykong Banned

Question: Does ibrickr work at all with 1.1.1? That's the version I have and the website mentions it not working for the iphone. I don't know if the iPoT is any different.